Mercury 135 V6 - Replaced stator and problem fixed, then stalled... I'M STUMPED!

shwine617

Cadet
I have twin 1999 135HP 2-stroke mercury blue water outboards on my sea ray laguna.

Here is the dilemma...

I bought the boat not running and it sat for 2 years.

Checked compression and both motors were a solid 120-125 across the board.

I changed the batteries, drained the fuel, and cleaned the carbs. The starboard motor fired right up and ran great

The port motor(counter rotation) was giving me troubles but eventually I got it running. However, It would only run on the left 3 cylinders.

After some diagnostic and research on here, I narrowed it down to the stator.

I changed the stator and it was running great on all 6 again. Ran it for about an hour and it stalled out and wouldn't start. Now there is no spark to all 6 this time.

Compression checked again: Still 125-130 across

Starter is cranking over 300 RPM

Getting plenty of gas

Check spark with a tester on all 6 and nothing

Disconnected Black and yellow wires from both switch boxes with no change

Disconnected the 2 yellow stator wires with no change

someone also told me to disconnect the red wires and that still made no difference.

I thought maybe the new stator was faulty so I put the old one back in to see if it would spark on the 3 it was originally running on but still nothing.

I don't have access to a DVA, but I do have a volt meter, a test light, and a brain.

The only thing I can think of is that coincidentally the trigger went bad soon after I changed the stator.

If it was a switch box wouldn't they both have to go bad to loose spark on all 6?

sorry for the never ending story, but I truly appreciate any input. I am really excited to get this in the water.

Attachments

• 2012-06-21_18-50-24_220.jpg
    2012-06-21_18-50-24_220.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0

gbrowne9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 135 V6 - Replaced stator and problem fixed, then stalled... I'M STUMPED!

take one of the switch boxes off the good engine and put it on the bad engine, see if you have spark,if so replace both boxes.

shwine617

Cadet
Re: Mercury 135 V6 - Replaced stator and problem fixed, then stalled... I'M STUMPED!

Thanks for the reply. Is there a difference between a switch box from a 16amp motor and a 40 amp motor?
I'll try swapping one out.

I guess the triggers don't really go bad then?