470 Spark Plugs

noralogdog

Cadet
The original manual for my 83 470 lists only two spark plugs that could be used. AC-Delco and Champion. Is there an NGK plug I can use for this engine. I think this might be a better plug. If not, which of the other two are better. Hmmm, I wonder how many will agree on this one?

Re: 470 Spark Plugs

Service manual 3 shows 4 different plugs, I use NGK or AC Delco, right now have the Delco's and it's running perfect. Champion are for lawn mowers.

BTW... the timing has been changed from 8? to 4? in a TSB since the manual.

Attachments

• 07241201.PDF
    111.1 KB · Views: 3

noralogdog

Cadet

Service manual 3 shows 4 different plugs, I use NGK or AC Delco, right now have the Delco's and it's running perfect. Champion are for lawn mowers.

BTW... the timing has been changed from 8? to 4? in a TSB since the manual.

Thanks. This helps a lot. Do you know why they changed the timing? I adjusted my timing recently and went by the 8 degree. The engine runs fine. Would it improve set at 4?

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class

NGK plug is BPR6FS gapped .035 if on points ignition or .040 if on Pertronix. I prefer these plugs in my 470 and use them in my 90 Johnson 2 stroke. I can troll all day with the 2 stroke and never skip a beat.

Dennis

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Thanks. This helps a lot. Do you know why they changed the timing? I adjusted my timing recently and went by the 8 degree. The engine runs fine. Would it improve set at 4?

They changed it because of concerns over the quality of fuel and detonation at the higher setting.

lselmes

Seaman Apprentice

6 Degrees BTDC seems to be the preferred setting with guys running Pertronix ignition and Flamethrower coil as well as .040 on plug gap as stated above. I run this set-up on my Glasply with NGK's and have never looked back. My 81 470 runs smooth as silk and sips gas running at 3000 rpm / 27mph.