Bowrider to Cuddy with removable bolt on front cover?

Jennifer "water-wolf"

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1994 Bluewater MonteCarlo 20 foot bowrider that my husband and I are having a lot of fun with crusing around in. We are up on the Columbia river as it passes through Portland Oregon, and the river can get some real waves when the winds get in opposition to the current. So far no problems at all, but as we do plan on extending our boating season, I an concerned about the open bow and potentially larger waves..I've seen the vids on youtube of bowriders diving in the bow and swamping on big wakes or waves. So.....I was thinking about building a fiberglass over wood 'cover' that would bolt into place over the open hull in front of the windscreen...In summer months we can just remove it and have the seating, and in the heavy weather potential times, we can have the security of a cuddy cabin front area.

Anyone ever done anything like this? If so I would love to see some photos...or hear your ideas....
Cheers,
Jennifer

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bowrider to Cuddy with removable bolt on front cover?

I have a 1994 Bluewater MonteCarlo 20 foot bowrider that my husband and I are having a lot of fun with crusing around in. We are up on the Columbia river as it passes through Portland Oregon, and the river can get some real waves when the winds get in opposition to the current. So far no problems at all, but as we do plan on extending our boating season, I an concerned about the open bow and potentially larger waves..I've seen the vids on youtube of bowriders diving in the bow and swamping on big wakes or waves. So.....I was thinking about building a fiberglass over wood 'cover' that would bolt into place over the open hull in front of the windscreen...In summer months we can just remove it and have the seating, and in the heavy weather potential times, we can have the security of a cuddy cabin front area.

Anyone ever done anything like this? If so I would love to see some photos...or hear your ideas....
Cheers,
Jennifer

Ayuh,.... Wood, 'n glass will be Heavy,....

Build yerself a spray shield with canvas, 'n vinyl...

Jennifer "water-wolf"

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Bond-o, ..I have a white vinyl-canvas cover that snaps in place over the bow flush on the hull top...No way would I trust that to hold up hundreds of pounds of water in the case of a nose plant. even with a support from underneath. It would likely just pull off the snaps or rip with enough weight on it, and a foot of water over that area, as can happen with a big wake nose plant, weighs a lot!....1/4 inch marine plywood with veil mat and West epoxy coating would not be that heavy, even with a thicker rim and under braces. I see a lot of peple here on the forum have put in 3/4 inch plywood floor/casting deck at the front seat level in a bowrider to create an elevated floor, with a column support for a rotating fishing seat, and that would weight about the same, or perhaps more than a rigid cover made properly. .

I really like your avatar of the gas engine cutaway, really neat the way it works.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You could design a cover that is lightweight with thinner plywood and fiberglass cloth but, the key is to repel the water as fast as possible, Many canvas (sunbrella material) covers will repel water FAST and there really is not too much constant weigh. I have been in many a boat where the bow was "stuffed" into a wave and the water sheds quickly.

The significant challenge will be storing that cover when not in use. Where do you put it? If you want it permanent I would suggest you look for a closed bow boat and do some trading.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Bond-o, ..I have a white vinyl-canvas cover that snaps in place over the bow flush on the hull top...No way would I trust that to hold up hundreds of pounds of water in the case of a nose plant. even with a support from underneath. It would likely just pull off the snaps or rip with enough weight on it, and a foot of water over that area, as can happen with a big wake nose plant, weighs a lot!....1/4 inch marine plywood with veil mat and West epoxy coating would not be that heavy, even with a thicker rim and under braces. I see a lot of peple here on the forum have put in 3/4 inch plywood floor/casting deck at the front seat level in a bowrider to create an elevated floor, with a column support for a rotating fishing seat, and that would weight about the same, or perhaps more than a rigid cover made properly. .

I really like your avatar of the gas engine cutaway, really neat the way it works.

Ayuh,.... As noted by Bob,... Yer only tryin' to Shed the water, not Hold it,...

The weight of the water is irrelevant...

emoney

Commander

Adding a fiberglass cover seems like it would change the original architect's "center of gravity" too. People are a lot more flexible than glass. Unless you're thinking thin, which would be much the same as canvas. Just a thought.

Why not trade for a closed bow or a cuddy?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I have taken waves over the bow with the bow cover in place on my searay. 8" of water goes right over the bow cover without doing any damage.....continues to the windshield, up and over and lands on your head without even causing the canvas to move. with a bit of waterproofing, it even beads up just nicely.