71 9.5hp wont stay running

Haus

Seaman Apprentice
picked up a used 71 9.5hp, dont know how long it sat for.

since getting it, i have replaced, points set, both coils, j6c plugs, impeller, lower unit oil, starter rope....

it has good blue spark from the tester, and has 55psi compression in both cylenders.

it will start up for a second with pre-mix sprayed into the plug holes, and found it will rev up then promptly die when i spray pre-mix down the carb opening.

any ideas on what it might be? im thinking fuel problem, is it time to overhaul the carb?
any sugestions or idea on what it might be?

Thanks

Rick.

Captain
Re: 71 9.5hp wont stay running

Sounds like you're on the right track with a carb. kit. Make sure you get every passage clean. I think you are right, it isn't getting fuel. Have you set the slow speed needle correctly? Best of luck. Rick.

Haus

Seaman Apprentice

i have not touched anything on the carb yet. it has a slow speed adjustment knob on the front of the engine cover, its the cable type. whats the corrrect position of this knob for easier starting?

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

These carbs are easy to remove and easy to clean, the high speed jet is hidden underneath the float bowl drain screw, you will need a very thin screw driver to get it out. I took the carb off of my 1966 last night, complete dis-assembly, clean and re-install in under an hour. According to Leeroy's Ramblings, the initial setting for the slow speed needle is 3/4 turn out from lightly seated but depending on how the motor runs, you may have to go out as far as 1.5 turns.

Rick.

Captain

A new carb. kit might be a good idea but I would set the slow speed first and see if that does any good. If the P) did a kit you should be able to tear it down and just clean it. Rick.