87 Bayliner 2.3 ford with cobra outdrive only starts occasionally

I have a 87 Bayliner capri 1750 with the 2.3. I just bought this boat and it wasn't getting spark. I replaced the point and condenser, and it fired up. The problem is that it only starts every once in a while. While starting the boat, it will backfire out of the carb. thinking that the boat sat too long with bad gas, I had the carb rebuilt. I put the carb back on and it fired right up, then back to the same problem. I'm at a loss right now.... I don't want to keep throwing money at it. I would greatly appreciate any ideas that anyone might have.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: 87 Bayliner 2.3 ford with cobra outdrive only starts occasionally

Have a look thru the stickies topics, specifically the Troubleshooting Tips for DIYers at the top of this forum, for how to check for spark and other troubleshooting tips and guidelines....:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=468655

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just finished (hopefully) struggling through similar issues with the same motor and boat.

If you haven't yet I would drain the gas, and then check/replace any bad or clogged fuel lines and fittings. It's pretty easy to siphon the tank by running a 5/16 fuel hose from the drop-tube hole on the tank itself and right through your boat's drain plug hole and collecting it outside.

Did you check your timing and dwell/point gap yet? I just finished doing this yesterday and it was night and day for me. I was having idling issues, the motor would die at anything under 1200 rpm. Now I am idling comfortably at 500, mostly from adjusting my dwell and timing.

I'm new to boats, but hope this helps. Been trying to figure out this damn thing for weeks now!

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a similar problem with mine. Try spraying some starter fluid in the carb and try starting it. I may run very briefly but that would tell you its your fuel. Also check the contacts inside your distributor cap. Are they green? If so get some fine grit sandpaper and clean them up. Mine were so bad the spark was jumping to different cylinders causing it to backfire out the carb.

I gapped the points at .018 like the manual said when I put them in, drained all old fuel, put a fuel filter in the line before the carb, the distributor contacts are good. I adjusted the timing today and it fired right up!! Took it out on the river today to test it out and find out that the boat won't plane out. I still have to set the timing with a timing gun to fine tune it...but I dont think that it will help with the planing issue. the prop on it is a 19 pitch...maybe that is the problem? Idk, I'm at a loss.

Maclin

Admiral

The .018 gap setting is a first pass, need to check the dwell with a dwell meter to be sure it is in spec and if not adjust the gap, check dwell, repeat until dwell is in spec. Dwell controls how much park is generated. After dwell is in spec then set the timing.

Of course it works best with new parts like points and condenser.

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Umm the prop? Is this the same prop thats always been on the boat?

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took my 88 Bayliner out for the first time this week too, and I noticed it would only plane out under a lot of throttle, after getting up to speed or if someone was sitting up front. Perhaps that is just how these boats are?

I just bought the boat and that is the prop that was on it...but I don't know if it is the right one. Seems like a pretty high pitch for that small of motor.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just looked in my owners manual (1988) about prop selection, but all it says is that my "dealer has chosen a propeller designed to deliver top performance"....

If you find someting out please post up, I would like to know also. Thanks.

I talk to a dealer and he said that the prop should be 13 and 1/2 inches in diameter with a pitch of 15.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the diameter of yours now?

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well thats about as far as my knowlede goes. If you want I can take a pic of my prop, though I do not know how to measure pitch.

Congrats on getting it on the water at least!

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How were the engine RPM's Very high and not going on plane? or was the engine struggling to get RPM's up.

Engine was reving high and not getting on plane

skidooseadoo83

Seaman Apprentice

my 89 19' with a 2.3l has a 13 1/2 X 15 on it, works great.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Like really high? Almost redlining?

If the engine is reving high and you are not going anywhere (getting on plane) you have a spun hub in the prop or a bad coupler. when you measured point gap were the points on the high spot on the cam lobe? And how did you adjust timing if you haven't done it with a timing light? Why not adjust the dwell then set timing as has been suggested. Until you do that you have no idea where these critical adjustments are. Then get to the prop situation. Just so you know, switching from a 19P down to a 15P would really cause the engine to screem and you still would get nowhere. Check for a spun hub.