1991 OMC 4.3L Starter Qestions

e016188

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1991 Four Winns Freedom 190. I have a 4.3L OMC motor with a cobra outdrive. I wa on the lake yestrday and noticed the starter spins the engine slowly when I turn the key. The engine starts and runs fine, however, I suspect I have a weak or worn out starter.

I have two batteries in the boath and believe that both are in good condition. I will pull the batteries and verify they are healthy.

If I find batteries are in good condition do I then look at the starter? Can I check health of starter? If so, how? Should I buy a rebuilt starter or buy a new starter.

Thanks for help.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1991 OMC 4.3L Starter Qestions

When my starter did that, I actually was hydrolocking one of the cylinders, water in the oil etc. Prolly not your case, but check just to make sure it's not just your starter. I thought it was my starter too, until I check other things.

e016188

Cadet

Hello,

I recognize now that I should have searched discussion threads more before my original post. I did purchase and own an OMC service manual as was recommended the in previous discussion threads.

I will share diagnostics for those who might find helpful in the future.

I cleaned all power connections at the batteries, starter and ground lugs. I found a crimped connector at a ground lug location that came loose when I removed the lug to clean. I recrimped the connection. I think this may have been my problem. This is an easy fix.

I pulled both batteries and had a load test performed on the batteries. Both tested ok. Charge was ~30% on one and ~75% on the other. I put one on the trickle charge last night and have the other charging today.

I ran the boat most of the day Saturday and therefore I am concerned about charging system performance given low charge state on both batteries. No indication of electrolyte/water loss from the battery.

Sunbird Don

Recruit

I had the same kind of issue, I thought it was my charging system but it turned out to be a power wire inside the starter had broken off at a clamp and was hanging next to the part it broke off of. Some times it would get just a little power and turn slow and some times it was touching and crank fine and other times nothing! replaced the starter with a used one and everything is fine now.