Need to trade up to a more family friendly boat

Jenick78

Recruit
I have a 1995 cobia 15ft CC and its great for fishing. Ive actually done a bunch of good largemouth fishing on the lakes and ponds but its best on the CT river and sound. But I cant really take the family out for a day on the water...
Im thinking its finally time to get a more family frendly boat, and something in like new condition, rather than the 20+ year old boats im used to owning. But I wont have much cash to play with so im thinking something like a 2-3 year old bayliner bowrider 160ob maby with the 90hp upgrade. What else is out there similar in price ( below 10k ) for a couple year old bowrider? Prefer <18ft boats because I pull my boats with my ford focus lol! Anyone else love the smell of clutch burning in the am?
This is the listing for my fishing boat http://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/3156642593.html and depending if I get what im asking or close to it than I should be able to get the kind of boat im thinking, but I want to make sure its the best deal out there. Thanks guys!
Nick

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need to trade up to a more family frendly boat.

Look for a nice 8-12 year old Four Winns 170 with an O/B. They are great little boats.

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are going to run into some issues towing a 3k lb boat/trailer with a Focus. Not safe to do so.

89Donzi

Cadet

My 2006 Bayliner BR175 with trailer is under 3k lbs...so the BR160 is even lighter. I actually stopped by my local Bayliner dealer today and they had a BR160 on the lot with a 90hp on it. Looked like a nice little boat...had a nice bench seat across the back and plenty of room in the bow for kids. I think that would work for you just fine...and with a 90hp on it she'll fly! My 175 with wife and kids and gear on mild chop runs 46mph GPS verified with the 3.0 Merc I/O and stock prop.

Jenick78

Recruit

Im glad to hear the 90 will be more than adaquate. my 15' CC with a 55hp yamaha does low 30smph and takes a while to plane out with one other person and light fishing gear. theres no way I could put a bunch of people and a skier on it.
I keep hearing nothing but good things about new bayliners and from what I have found, I cant find anything with a better price for the boat.
I do need to upgrade my vehicle, but Im just not ready to purchase another vehicle yet. My boat now is fairly light for a fiberglass boat and I want to find something similar in weight. If I cant find a boat that can do everything I want and come in under weight, then Ill have to reconsider my vehicle situation.
Ive always prefered outboards b/c they just seem so easy to work on and service and swap out if need be. But is an i/o better in any catagories? Ive never owned one..
Nick

jkust

Rear Admiral

Im glad to hear the 90 will be more than adaquate. my 15' CC with a 55hp yamaha does low 30smph and takes a while to plane out with one other person and light fishing gear. theres no way I could put a bunch of people and a skier on it.
I keep hearing nothing but good things about new bayliners and from what I have found, I cant find anything with a better price for the boat.
I do need to upgrade my vehicle, but Im just not ready to purchase another vehicle yet. My boat now is fairly light for a fiberglass boat and I want to find something similar in weight. If I cant find a boat that can do everything I want and come in under weight, then Ill have to reconsider my vehicle situation.
Ive always prefered outboards b/c they just seem so easy to work on and service and swap out if need be. But is an i/o better in any catagories? Ive never owned one..
Nick

Outboards especially 2 strokes, are nice and light which would fit the bill given how overtaxed your tow vehicle is. I/O is better in many categories but weight isn't one of them. A nice BL 160 sounds like the perfect boat for your budget and weight restrictions. What is the tow rating of a Focus?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't think you are accomplishing anything to go from a 15' CC to a 16' bowrider--the latter would be even more cramped. Consider a 17' CC such as as Scout, Palm Beach, Key West, Sea Hunt. I believe the first two are usually light for the size. Of course, outboard, no question.

Look at the new ones in the dealers, or look at some in the marina, to get an idea about size and room--you will find them much roomier but just as comfortable as a BR. Then go find a used one.

Of course, it will be easy to find BR's and hard to find CC's; that is because people will get rid of a BR that doesn't work out but hang on to a CC forever. The 15' is small for family use, I agree, and because it's small, seating is limited.

Jenick78

Recruit

A bigger CC would be better at least, but they all seem to have a very open floor plan which is perfect for fishing. my cobia has a 1.5 person "bench" behind the wheel and a 1 person "bench" seat in front of the console. The bow does step up so someone could sit there with a boat cushion, but not be able to really relax. The key west seems to be the exact floor plan as my cobia and a bunch of the other sub 18' cc too... Id like to be able to take 5-7 people out and there just dosent seem to be enough seats in a CC and definetly not as comfortable as a BR. As much as id like to keep a CC for fishing in the sound, I do have a smaller 12' deep-V with 3 bench seats that I wouldent hesitate to go to the mouth of the river in on a calm day. And I think I could settle with that as my fishing boat if I that means I can get a perfect boat for the family to relax on. I guess I keep my eye out for a small CC with a different floor plan that includes more seats because if I came across one It would make my decision more difficult... But Ill just have work on getting my cobia sold first!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Get a PONTOON boat! they can carry lots of people in comfort and they're made out of the best stuff in the wold for boating... ALUMINUM!

Jenick78

Recruit

I did look into it, which would be awesome right now because It fits the bill for all my immediate needs. and since I have 3 kids between me and my brother under 2 years old they could be ketp caged up... i mean safe. But I think once they can all swim in a few years they will want to go tubeing kneeboarding etc. plus pontoons just seem like they would be big and heavy to trailer and I cant afford a slip anywhere. Im really thinking a small BR is the best set-up to relax/ski/cruse the river/trailer... My house is about 600' from being on waterfront, if I was and had a dock it wouldent even be a question. pontoon all the way!

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about a dual console. I have been looking at key west dual consoles. They are reasonably priced and have more room than a "traditional" bow rider since you don't loose a lot of space in the aft. They are better for fishing than a bowrider and close to a CC in their amentities. Their 17' weighs 1350lb dry + motor. probably don't need much motor too. would think a 90 would be suffient. my 17' glastron has a 70hp 2 stroke and approaches 40mph.
A boat is never perfect and always expensive...

Jenick78

Recruit

ya, just googled searched for images and dual consoles look to be the same layout as a BR. is there any actual difference or is it the same thing different names? Guess ill do some more searches to see if theres any similar boats just labled dual console instead of BR.

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dual consoles are more fishing friendly and are almost always outboards where as bow riders are mostly IO. Both can have either which makes it confusing. Usually DC's are CC hulls with a different cap.
Shop around many companies made/make DC's. Boston whaler used to make them so you may find a used 16' I see then all the time around here.
I have researching for quite a while so let me know if you have more questions.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If you want a boat with lots of room, get a pontoon

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

ya, just googled searched for images and dual consoles look to be the same layout as a BR. is there any actual difference or is it the same thing different names? Guess ill do some more searches to see if theres any similar boats just labled dual console instead of BR.

look at sea hunt ultra for an example, to compare the difference between a DC and a BR. True, from the air they look similar.

The DC's hulls are seaworthy, the deck is self bailing, you have seats and cushions but you aren't sunk down in a sofa, or some silly wrap-around dashboard console taking up all the room. You can see when you drive.

you can also find many CC's with plently of comfortable seating; don't compare your 15 b/c it's just small.