1973 7.5 Ted Williams: Runs great but pops out of gear. Please help fix.

utahmike

Recruit
I did a few searched on here and other forums to find any relevant help...I don?t have time to spend hours searching but my quick search turned up very little.

So here are the details on my OB:
7.5 HP Ted Williams Air Cooled Outboard
Chassis \ Model # 217-5889-0 (217.5889.0) Eska 1973
Serial # 3E-180996

SEARS ROEBUCK AND CO. U.S.A.

Engine Plate:
T-640-03B
TECUMsEH

This little motor came from my grandpa and has a lot of sentimental value...otherwise I would trash it and buy something else...which I may do anyway. But I like to tinker so this may be an easy and sorta fun project. The motor runs great. I rebuilt the card and it runs strong with no trouble. It has this habit of popping out of gear. When this happened I could fiddle with the shift lever and throttle and get it to go back into gear. It was annoying. After it popped out the last time I have not been able to get it back into gear. I pulled the prop off and got into the gears...the gear oil was gray and had some water in it. I cleaned it out and replaced the gear oil...not sure where the water is coming from. The seals look good, but I will watch that. The gears looked fine, no corrosion, and turned smoothly with slight resistance and no play. I found the shear pin in the prop had broken. I replaced that thinking that may be the problem. It was not. I am guessing it is something associated with the lever or clutch, etc. Any ideas? What to look for? I may tear into it this evening just for fun and to see what I find. Please help if you can. Thanks!

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 7.5 Ted Williams: Runs great but pops out of gear. Please help fix.

I don't see any shift linkage here;

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par.../00035595/00004?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=21758890

Seal number 19 is your likely culprit for water in the lower unit. If I was going in there, I'd replace the pump impeller, too. That motor is only partially air cooled, but it still needs the water. I've had the shear pin shear, hang, and keep driving the boat for a while - wonder if that's what happened? These guys really know their Eska shirt;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eskaoutboards/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=4010

it may be that the indent may be missing or the spring under it may be clogged with mung. if its missing i have used a ball bearing in place of the indent and used a slightly longer spring. if everything is there, just see if it is full of stuff and clean. good luck

utahmike

Recruit

I also noticed the lack of shift linkage on the diagram. I tore into the unit yesterday...I probably am missing something, but after cleaning the parts up, nothing looked wrong, worn, broken, etc. i could turn the prop and it would cycle the piston. I expected to see a stripped out coupler or something broken in the shift linkage. I may be missing it. I still have the unit apart, any ideas on how to diagnose? Is it possible the shear pin was the problem and I failed to reinstall the drive shaft up into the clutch properly?

utahmike

Recruit

it may be that the indent may be missing or the spring under it may be clogged with mung. if its missing i have used a ball bearing in place of the indent and used a slightly longer spring. if everything is there, just see if it is full of stuff and clean. good luck

Sorry to have to ask...the, "Indent and spring"are part of? clutch?