Mercruiser Throttle lever is sticky

stephank

Cadet
Good afternoon all....it has been some time since I have been on this forum, but I have a question. Finally got on the water yesterday for the first time this summer. I must say I am pretty impressed with my self, as I replaced the impellar om my '89 Alpha One, gen (Mercrusier 3.0L, 4 cylider) all by myself with the help of my 14-year old.

She ran great, no issues that I could tell.

I bough this boat (89' Maxum) last year and since buying it, the throttle lever seems to be sticky. The button you push to get it in to netrual is located on the handle, underneath (so you reach under the handle with your two finger to push it.

When I pull back on the throttle to go to neutral, I have to really work it to get it into neutral and then in to reverse. Makes it tricky when I am docking, as I like to thrust back a bit to slow (stop) down. It is also tricky when on teh water as it is hard to figure if I am in neutral or just slightly forward or reverse.

Hope this is making sense...Any recomendations suggestions here. It Doesn't seem to be a cable/linkage issue (however it may be) but seems to be more of a throttle controler issue.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions.

Stephan

bbrowning84

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser Throttle lever is sticky

I have just bought a 2005 Crownline 240ex and am having the same issue. My release button is on the top of the handle(thumb area) though. It seems to take a ton of pressure to push the throttle forward out of neutral and back into neutral. Same deal in and out of reverse.
I read on another forum that you can lube the cables but I went to my boat today to see if I could do it and am not sure how to get it done. I tried to get the handle off but that looks to be a ***** and I didn't have all the right tools with me. I am going to take some spray silicone lube with me tomorrow and see if I can lube the joints and make it easier. I will let you know how that works.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

bb, start your own thread so it dosent get lost.
Is the shift interupter working properly?

bbrowning84

Cadet

bb, start your own thread so it dosent get lost.
Is the shift interupter working properly?

Not sure at this point what the shift interupter is and how it is supposed to work. I do know that it does go into and out of gear without shutting off the engine.