Tachometer question....

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have a late 80's control box for my 73 Jhonson 65.... It is all connected and running fine except for 2 things. One is that in order to get spark I have to have the Black/ yellow stop circuit wire disconnected. And second when I turn the key I get no alarm buzz and my tachometer that I originally had with my 82 Evinrude 60 light up but the tach does not work. Anyone tell me what the problem might be.... Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tachometer question....

You're disconnecting the black/yellow wire from where? Do you have any other wire connected to whatever that wire is connected to?

Describe the wires (colors) and what terminals (letters B,A,C,M,S,M) they're connected to on the ignition switch.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're disconnecting the black/yellow wire from where? Do you have any other wire connected to whatever that wire is connected to?

Describe the wires (colors) and what terminals (letters B,A,C,M,S,M) they're connected to on the ignition switch.

I have it cut off right before the canyon plug coming from the ignition. I dont have any wire connected to it. I just cut it off to see if it was the problem from me not getting spark. With it disconnected I get spark. With it connected I get no spark.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The black/Yellow is the raised M... and it goes from the ignition switch and runs to a small black box located inside the control box. The black little box it runs to is connected to the button on the outside of my control box.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The little button on the side of your control box is the kill switch. With the lanyard NOT connected to that button, the kill switch is engaged which results in no ignition (spark). It would be a good idea to obtain a service manual for that engine to avoid an expensive mistake.

The 1973 model did not have a self test warning horn. It was/is simply a two wire standard horn.

Tachometer not working.... probably a faulty rectifier.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sound how do i find out if the horn is going to work if the motor runs hot?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Engine NOT running. Key turned to ON position. Ground out one of the TAN (heat sensor) wires you see protruding out of the cylinder heads.

The horn should sound when you ground either one of those TAN wires. Does it?