95xr sport jet motor issues will barley plane off !!!!!

- all plugs fire and idle
- carbs are spotless
- engine runs and idles great

so when i take off I give the boat WOT and the rpm guage goes to 6000 for like two seconds and then backs down to 4500rpm and wont go any higher IF i lean forward enuff it will eventually plane off but only do 19 to 20 knots

I tried the pulling off the sparkpug wires of while trying to plane off and 1 and 3 made a difference ( engine bogged ) while 2 did not. I was able to plane off with 1 and 3 and leaving off the 2nd cylinder plug wire off.

I swaped the coil pack and spark plug from 1 to 2 and still leaving off the plug wire of the second cylinder did not effect the motor at all still topped out 20 kontswouldnt rev ofer 4500 rpm

what finally fixed your problem jsut swaping around the coil packs around???

the motor is a 1996 95xr sport jet, the hull is a 15ft hobie jet

zodiacman

Recruit
Re: 95xr sport jet motor issues will barley plane off !!!!!

hi, looks like you need a new wear ring . rpm should stop at around 5200 rmp above than is a sign that you need a wear ring.

Re: 95xr sport jet motor issues will barley plane off !!!!!

my thoughts were if it were a wear ring the motor will rev up and hit the revlimiter and fluxuate of the revlimiter. but it not fluxuating the thing is jsut staying at 4500 rpm steady I got to find the revlimiter unhook it and see what hapends. when i blew the wear ring in my jetski the motor would actually rev up and fluxuate. but would eventually get on plane. i fugured that its not the same as my problems with the sport jet...... I havent even thought to check the wear ring yet. ill have to se if i feel like crawling under the thing and seeing what the wear ring looks like. never hurts to rule one more thing out !!!!!

thanks for the advice