1989 3.0 - Belt replacement - I have to remove the engine mount???!!!??

usas12gthr

Cadet
Hello all,

My drive belt broke. It would appear to me that I need to remove the front engine mount to install a new one.. Really? Am I seeing this correctly. I have read many post regarding belts but none seem to address this. If I do have to remove the mount, how do you suggest I support the front of the engine to do so? ANY help would be GREATLY appeaciated..

I will definitely be checking out the pullies and removing any rust, and painting.... but for now, how do I replace it.

usas12gthr

Cadet
1989 3.0 - Belt replacement - I have to remove the engine mount???!!!?? (CONTINUANCE

1989 3.0 - Belt replacement - I have to remove the engine mount???!!!?? (CONTINUANCE

EARLIER POST... Hello all,

My drive belt broke. It would appear to me that I need to remove the front engine mount to install a new one.. Really? Am I seeing this correctly. I have read many post regarding belts but none seem to address this. If I do have to remove the mount, how do you suggest I support the front of the engine to do so? ANY help would be GREATLY appeaciated..

I will definitely be checking out the pullies and removing any rust, and painting.... but for now, how do I replace it.

NEW POST - Now I received the attached picture from a fellow boater trying to help me; however, this image does not reflect my situation. My bracket does not have a spacer as indicated in the pic. Mine is one solid bracket basically the same shape as the one in the image (not exactly) but does not have the spacer.. Does anyone have any suggestions.. PLEASE

Attachments

• 30LBeltreplace.jpg
    30LBeltreplace.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 3.0 - Belt replacement - I have to remove the engine mount???!!!?? (CONTINU

Re: 1989 3.0 - Belt replacement - I have to remove the engine mount???!!!?? (CONTINU

EARLIER POST... Hello all,

NEW POST - Now I received the attached picture from a fellow boater trying to help me; however, this image does not reflect my situation. My bracket does not have a spacer as indicated in the pic. Mine is one solid bracket basically the same shape as the one in the image (not exactly) but does not have the spacer.. Does anyone have any suggestions.. PLEASE

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Look closer, it Does have the spacer...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I merged both of your threads together, since it's the same question, just a continuation of the first.

Do you have a Mercruiser? If so, there is a spacer, if it's an OMC, then you don't have a spacer.

usas12gthr

Cadet

I beat the $#IT out of what should be the spacer this weekend to no avail except to put a deep gouge in the bracket from the crowbar I was using in conjuction with a maul I has hitting it with. IT DID NOT MOVE what-so-ever. And yes, I did WD-40 the heck out of it.. NO DOUBT that this is one solid piece..

Don S

Guess you missed what I asked in the previous reply.

Do you have a Mercruiser? If so, there is a spacer, if it's an OMC, then you don't have a spacer.

usas12gthr

Cadet

Well... When I bought it earlier this year I was told it was a 3.0 Chevy so I am assuming Mercruiser.. Given what you just stated, I am thinking that it just maybe a OMC.. Regardless, if there is no spacer (which I am 99% positive there is not) what am I to do here then? Block the engine from below then romve the bracket? To your knowledge is the Mercruiser bracket the same as the OMC minus the spacer? In other words, do you think a Mercruiser bracket will fit as I may replace it so I don't go through this again? Perhaps remove the OMC bracket and take it to a shop to have the cut an inch of that side of the packet, in turn making a spacer... Your thoughts?

Don S

Does your outdrive look like this? If so, it's an OMC

MICHAEL%20HASSEN.JPG

usas12gthr

Cadet

That looks to be it

Don S

That's what happens when you post OMC questions in the Mercruiser forum. I moved this to the OMC forum for you.
A complete Mercruiser mount might work, but I doubt you can just remove some of the OMC mount and add a Merc spacer. That top bar is different.

usas12gthr

Cadet

Don... Thank you

odie1016

Recruit
Re: 1989 3.0 - Belt replacement - I have to remove the engine mount???!!!??

I see that you moved this post to the omc forum, but didn't offer any advice on how to change the belt on the omc motor. Does anyone have any?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 3.0 - Belt replacement - I have to remove the engine mount???!!!??

odie,

Welcome aboard. This thread is a year old. Please start your own thread. We resist hijacks here as the information gets confusing. This one was a mess from the gitgo. Please supply all the pertinent info. On the OMC you do remove the mount. Please give us some clues as to the age of your unit. Confirm it is an OMC and the age. And the best advice I can give, when you have the mount off, put a spare belt around there for next time ;)