1997 Bravo III U-Joint Lube Interval & Replacing With Permalube U-Joints?

Dangit

Seaman Apprentice
My 1997 Bravo III & 5.7L Merc is used for light duty on a lake and never run wide open. According to my maintenance manual the U-joints need to be lubed every 100 hours. How big a job is it to replace these U-joints with the Permalube versions and what should I expect to pay for the job? I'm located in Tennessee.

Can I safely extend my U-joint lube intervals beyond 100 hours?

Thank you.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: 1997 Bravo III U-Joint Lube Interval & Replacing With Permalube U-Joints?

maintenance manual the U-joints need to be lubed every 100 hours...

Doesn't it also say something about "Yearly"? If it doesn't you need a better manual. You grease them every year. It's not hard, and if you do, they will last a LONG time. My 1997 Bravo 3 had over 800 hours on it in 2008, and the u-joints were nearly perfect.

You should NOT be trying to avoid pulling the drive off every year, anyway. How else will tell if your bellows has failed and is allowing water in? It will cost A LOT more to replace the u-joints and the gimbal bearing due to water intrusion, than it will to remove the drive every fall, inspect it, and grease the bearings.

Dangit

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1997 Bravo III U-Joint Lube Interval & Replacing With Permalube U-Joints?

I get your point but it's easier said than done.

I don't have a trailer and the boat hangs in a boat house at the lake so I have to get the boat repair shop to meet me at a boat ramp with their trailer so they can take it to their shop. This boat only gets used about 25-40 hours of use a year. Permalube u-joints would solve part of my problem. I think that under the circumstances I might be able to safely stretch my lube intervals to two years?