johnson 11hp v4 wont turn over

leec2699

Recruit
i have a johnson 115hp v4 outboard, yesterday i put it in the water and started first time took it out no problems left it for few hours went back and engine wouldnt turn over either would the trim work ( but did make some kind of noise when trying ) so first thought was flat battery but was showing 14v. Out of curiosity tried a different battery and fired straight up any ideas ?

thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: johnson 11hp v4 wont turn over

Welcome to iboats.

By chance did you notice if your cables to the battery got hot?

99% of the electrical problems are corrosion inside the cables or bad/poor connections.

When a cable or wire corrodes on the inside you can not see the damage but the resistance goes WAY up and nothing works properly.

How I would attack it if it was my V-4.......... Sandpaper. I would remove everyone connection one at a time and sand it off lightly and re-tighten. Every connector from trhe largest battery cables down to the small connectors that are attached to the screw strips.

Once that is done I think you will see a difference.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh yeah.....it's a free repair and just costs you labor ;)

leec2699

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply and i am going to buy today some new battery connectors and will sand and check all the other connections. Only things thats got me was when i connected a different battery it started right up ?

hotshot123

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it probably still had a bad connection at the battery. when you changed, you also got a good connection. corrosion can happen anytime anywhere. When i first started getting my little fishing boat going back in febuary, i installed a new battery, and cables. about a week ago, i launched it and it wouldnt turn over. the choke would still work so my first thought was the battery was getting good connection but it wasnt. after messing with other things for a while, i finally disconnected the battery and cleaned the terminals even tho they looked pretty clean and it fired right up.