changing to a extra long leg.

KitimatSeaSwirl

Recruit
I have a 1991 19 ft Seaswirl Sierra cuddy. I am currenlty running a Johnson 115 which is, I think, slightly underpowered for the boat. I have an opportunity to purchase a 96 suzuki. The suzuki is a 25" extra long leg. I would like to know if there are any problems (e.g. safety, performance) with using a jack plate to compensate for the longer leg. I am also currious to know if I would have any problems with the steering cable for a motor that will be sitting a few inches higher The option of changing the leg becomes too expensive. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: changing to a extra long leg.

Sounds like a nice boat. I would set it up right. The cable may be too short. It has to go higher and back a bit. Engine will really be up there. for the cost of the bracket and the cable I would look for the correct engine

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

On a smaller HP kicker motor or trolling motor I wouls agree however, I would continue to shop for a proper replacement /proper shaft length motor.

KitimatSeaSwirl

Recruit

Thanks Lyle, Bob. I kind of suspected this response but sometimes you just need that extra confirmation to keep you on an even keel.