3.0 Alpha One Mercruiser steering noise

norty661

Cadet
My 1990 Bayliner 3.0 Alpha One has some kind of issue with the steering. The steering is stiff in certain spots and when it hits the stiff spots it makes a loud growling like noise in the motor. It sounds like it would be low on power steering fluid but I can even find any power steering components on the engine. Does this motor have any type of power steering? The only external oil resivor I can find is for the power trim. Please help!

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: 3.0 Alpha One Mercruiser steering noise

sounds like you need the drive unit serviced. The U joints are making the noise. Good time to do water pump and gear oil. Check seals.

norty661

Cadet

sounds like you need the drive unit serviced. The U joints are making the noise. Good time to do water pump and gear oil. Check seals.
I just did the water pump, gear oil and seals. Do the U joints need to be replaced or is their a way to service them?

alphaco

Recruit

I just did the water pump, gear oil and seals. Do the U joints need to be replaced or is their a way to service them?

Im sorry but Im new here...how do I post a new post? I looked around and can?t seem to find a ?post? button...thanks