Identify Evinrude 4 hp

shadowstep

Cadet
I have an Evinrude 4 hp and the only info is the serial number both on the ID plate and the freeze plug. Both numbers are identical; 4936B-E01575. On the freeze plug, the numbers are separate and on the ID plate they are separated by a dash and in front of them it says, "Serial Number."

I'm trying to figure out what year it is and is one of the numbers above the model number? The engine looks old, circa 1960s or 1970s, but it has a fuel pump and according to places I have looked for parts, only 1981 and newer Evinrude 4 hp motors have a fuel pump......

Thanks for any info.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

shadowstep

Cadet
Re: Identify Evinrude 4 hp

Thanks! I thought it looked like a late 1960s or early 1970s style motor. I looked briefly and didn't find a rebuild kit but tomorrow I'll check some more. I only found the newer fuel pump rebuild kit for 1981 and later 4 hp Evinrudes. If I knew for sure the pump was bad, I would probably spend the mopney but I'm not 100% sure. It runs fine for a while and then gets lean and dies. Fuel filter is clean and the tank pickup is clean.....

Rick.

Captain

I did see an add yesterday for earlier pump rebuild kits. I'll try to find it. Sounds as though we are having the same problem. Mine is a 71 but as the day goes on the pump gets weak. Best of luck. Rick.

Rick.

Captain

http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html
I've never bought anything from this site but it appears they can supply the right kit. I have not seen it elsewhere as they all seem to start with 1981 and newer ( as you mentioned). Rick.
Edit. Lots of the older ones have pumps but there were some with a top mounted tank that didn't have them. Some even had a top mounted tank with an option of connecting it to an external tank I'm told.

shadowstep

Cadet

Thanks for the info. The kit listed at marineengine.com is the same kit (part number) as the 1981 and later kit, which I already ordered. I'll wait until I get that kit and see if it works for the older 4 hp Evinrudes. My engine doesn't have a top mounted tank but to keep it running, I have to either put the tank above the engine or squeeze the primer bulb a couple of times a minute. BTW, I found a fuel pump at iboats.com for $44.09 which I think is the same, but the fittings are different and require a longer fuel hose:

http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Pump-for...2474455--session_id.021632358--view_id.174139

Thanks again.

Rick.

Captain

That pump looks like it would work fine. I'm sure you would be able to move the inlet and outlet pipes to point in different directions. By the time I pay shipping it works out to 77 dollars for me so not such a good deal. I did notice the part numbers for the kit were the same on other sites so what you ordered should work. Please let me know. I've got a bunch of these pumps that pretty much look the same but on various engines. Rick.

shadowstep

Cadet

Rick, I should receive the kit in a week or so. It might take me a while to try it, but I'll post what happens when I do get around to trying it. Just too many projects going on right now! It might be three or four weeks.

shadowstep

Cadet

I received the kit today and installed it. It seems to be the right kit but the parts (gaskets) are poor quality. Also, there's a tiny spring in the pump. The spring has a nylon cap on it to prevent puncturing the rubber but the replacement nylon cap was too small and I used the old one. The fuel pump is almost impossible to re-assemble because of the tiny spring and a larger spring. I used five minute epoxy to hold the small spring in place. I don't think the fuel pump will work now. That's confidence in my work along with high quality parts! I ordered a complete pump but I will probably try the rebuilt one to see if it works.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

actually, if you take your time and use a peice of wood with four screws to hold the assembly together it works rather well. you stack the components together and hold the pump package. when its together then place a screw in the housing. once there is at least a screw holding the assembly, your pretty much finished.
as for the small plug/spring that will fit in the package when putting the fuel pump together on wood with four screws. screws are sticking out from the bottom of the wood.
hope this helps? also blow through the fp. one way you should get flow, but the other way should not have flow.
dino

shadowstep

Cadet

Thanks dino. Yeah, that might work a lot better.

Also, there's one plastic plate that has a tab with a part number on one side and says "UP" with an arrow on the other side. Do you know what "UP" is referring to?

There's one gasket that looks like you could either use it or not use it. You can see it here:
http://www.hi-sierra.com/photos/fp.jpg
Did you use that gasket?

shadowstep

Cadet

Update: I used dino's suggestion for rebuilding the fuel pump and that works very well. I also used the gasket in question in my last post. I ran the engine at mid rpm for about 30 minutes and it seems to run well. The tank was on the ground, about 3 1/2 feet below the engine fuel pump. I'll post again when I actually take the boat out for a spin. Thanks again dino.