Evinrude repairable?

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I may be buying a boat to restore and it comes with an Evinrude 50 hp engine. I think year is 1973. It does not spit water and does not run. does anybody have any complaints about the Evinrude 1973 50 hp or is it a pretty decent motor?

2012-07-05 20.46.18.jpg2012-07-14 17.54.39.jpg2012-07-14 17.58.45.jpg

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude repairable?

As with any used motor it's only as good as it's been looked after. If it doesnt run and the owner is telling you that it doesnt spit water, I'd be concerned that the reason it doesn't run is because it's been overheated. These were decent motors though, classic 2 cylinder that OMC made for years. A couple of things to look for are blistered / burnt paint on the outer cylinders, compression test (this is a must) and make sure the motor has spark.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

It has a hydro-mechanical gearcase, unless it is a pull-start model (not likely). Not my favorite shift system....
Check the compression before you go any further.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

It has a hydro-mechanical gearcase, unless it is a pull-start model (not likely). Not my favorite shift system....
Check the compression before you go any further.

X2 on the electric shift, I forgot that this motor was in the E shift era. Good powerhead though.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see shift and throttle cables in the pics.... so it isn't electric shift

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I havent bought it yet and will be unable to check everything so I am having current owner check for me and that takes time. Should I go ahead and purchase this or would it be a money hole and I would be better off buying a new engine?

mark1961

Ensign

Its hydro-mechanical shift.....neither electric or fully mechanical shift.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I havent bought it yet and will be unable to check everything so I am having current owner check for me and that takes time. Should I go ahead and purchase this or would it be a money hole and I would be better off buying a new engine?

Rarely would I take anything that an owner says about condition as fact unless you personally verify what he is telling you. Remember his goal is to get money from your pocket into his.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

X2 on the electric shift, I forgot that this motor was in the E shift era. Good powerhead though.

TAMPANATE77 said:
TAMPANATE77 said:
I see shift and throttle cables in the pics.... so it isn't electric shift

Not an electric shift........hydro-mechanical. The pull start 1973 50's were fully mechanical.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK. Than I guess since it will be hard for me to personally go look at this engine. I will move on to finding a new one. Thanks everybody for your help! if anyone has an engine there willing to sell for cheap thats in good working condition, you have someone interested!

Thanks again!