Fair Price For Neighbors Barn Queen (Barn Find)

curraheeguns

Cadet
A neighbor and I are trying to come up with a fair price for a boat that he has no need for anymore. From what I gather I believe it is about a 16 or 17' 1994 or 1995 Lowe with a 25hp Johnson and has been stored since 1997 in a cattle barn. It has been covered while stored but is still pretty dirty. I have attached pics which should ID the model, motor, trolling motor and electornics types. Assuming everything works and that the motor is in good shape but and only in a dire need of tune up what would be a fair price for this boat?

Thanks Everyone!

DSC_5536.jpg

DSC_5537.jpg

DSC_5538.jpg

DSC_5539.jpg

DSC_5540.jpg

DSC_5541.jpg

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fair Price For Neighbors Barn Queen (Barn Find)

Assuming everything works. That would fetch $1700-$2500 around here (Central FL).

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Frankly, sitting in a barn since 1997 doesn't increase the value by much, if anything. Price it on age and condition, just like any other boat with the same characteristics. You may be able to get a ballpark figure from the NADA guides, which you will have to adjust for your local market.

Count on replacing the tires on the trailer.

BonairII

Commander

Make the seller give you a number....and then negotiate from there. Don't make an offer FIRST....unless it's VERY low(like $500).

curraheeguns

Cadet

Yeah, I am assuming that besides a tune up it will need two new batteries, new tires on the trailer and the spare, a new cover and I will probably pay a professional to clean the carpets and buff the whole thing out. I noticed at least one of the aluminum seat bases are also in pretty serious need of attention.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd offer 900 sitting here.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I am assuming that besides a tune up it will need two new batteries, new tires on the trailer and the spare, a new cover and I will probably pay a professional to clean the carpets and buff the whole thing out. I noticed at least one of the aluminum seat bases are also in pretty serious need of attention.

Figure a tad more than plugs for the tune-up:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

BonairII

Commander

Be careful, I've come across barn finds before and what I have learned is there is ususally a good reason a boat gets stuck in the back of a barn and covered up. I mean the average boater just doesn't "store" a boat like that unless there is something (expensive) wrong with it.

I agree.

That's why I suggested offering $500. The seller may accept anything at this point, just to get rid of it. If the OP offers a $900+ and the seller immediately accepts, the OP will know he just paid way more than the seller was figuring he'd get for it.

curraheeguns

Cadet

The seller is a good friend of mine and the boat sits because his dairy farming is a 6am-midnight ordeal, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I'm not worried about him trying to pull the wool over my eyes and sell me a lemon. If it was someone I didn't know that would be a concern for sure.

BonairII

Commander

The seller is a good friend of mine

So he'll probably be glad to sell it to you cheap...

Although, sometimes the "friend card" means nothing when it comes to money.

If the seller was a complete stranger....what would you be offering for the boat(be honest)? That amount would be a good number to offer your friend.

curraheeguns

Cadet

So he'll probably be glad to sell it to you cheap...

Although, sometimes the "friend card" means nothing when it comes to money.

If the seller was a complete stranger....what would you be offering for the boat(be honest)? That amount would be a good number to offer your friend.

Good points, I am guessing I will have at least $500-$1000 in the boat just to get it road worthy, looking good and running right. So I figure that should be taken into consideration when I figure out what one would sell for in tip top shape. In this economy I don't expect him to gift it to me, everyone needs the money. I am willing to pay what it is worth, just trying to figure out a consensus on what that is.

jestor68

Commander

If you would give me your friends number, I will give him a call and offer $2500, provided he pulls it outside and gives it a wash before I come to pick it up. :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I see Indianna boats listed in the Chicago craigslist and the markets seem to be the same between there and Chicago and Milwaukee.

Check everything that others have suggested and as it's been in a barn so long pull the cover from the boat and engine and also check all the wiring to assure that the mice haven't gotten to it. Can also assume it's going to need a water pump impellar.

Now from what I see in your pictures the boat seems to be in good condition other than being dirty. 16'/17' may also be a bit underpowered with that 25hp. My guess of value for that boat in running order in this area would be $1500 to $3000 on the high side and all depending on condition and equipment. In it's currant condition I'd be looking in the $700 to $1000 range because it's been sitting and is in unknown running condition. Though I'm sure there are those out there that would pay full market value for it. I on the other hand when looking at something in that condition am looking for a real bargin.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Providing the motor isn't shot,I think somewhere around 2 grand.
Alittle cleaning,batteries,probably water pump,gas tank(portable?),check lower unit oil,maybe some tires...might not be all that expensive to get going.
The electronics looking alittle old and the 25hp will be barely enough with a decked out 17' boat but diffenitly not a deal breaker.
You don't want any hard feelings over a boat,make it fair and maybe talk about different prices,if things need(or not) fixing.

curraheeguns

Cadet

Boats mine, I gave $2000 and I can still look him in the face as a friend. I will post pics as I get it out and powerwash it next week.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

$2000?!?!?! Can he look YOU in the face? You are a GENEROUS friend. If that boat was in good working order it would probably be about $3000.00, maybe $3500 if it were prestine. That boat looks far from prestine and the only thing worse than a boat with thousands of hours is one with NONE. Running doesn't kill motors, sitting does. Best of luck, hope it's all in great shape.

I'm sure there's some things that should be done for an outboard that's been sitting unused for a decade and a half.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Boats mine, I gave $2000 and I can still look him in the face as a friend. I will post pics as I get it out and powerwash it next week.

If you're happy and your friend is happy it was a great deal.;)

jmznshana

Seaman Apprentice

$500 to start.. Would not pay more than $1200 tops... That's just me though.. It will need a lot more work than you think if it has been sitting for 15 years... You could end up putting more than a grand into it..

BonairII

Commander

$2000?!?!?! Can he look YOU in the face? You are a GENEROUS friend.

I agree here. $2000 bucks is more like charity than a "fair price". Not a chance in hell that your friend could have gotten $2000 bucks for that underpowered rig if he listed it on CL etc.

You were better off NOT buying the boat at all....and buying a different boat altogether. You would've gotten a lot more boat/motor for your money. Assuming that the boat ends up being seaworthy...I predict that you'll be looking for a bigger motor, after your first run on the water.

It's not a "barn find" when you pay way more than you should for it.

A "good friend" wouldn't have accepted $2000 bucks for a boat that's been collecting dust from another friend. Friendship is a two-way street. ;)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If you're happy and your friend is happy it was a great deal.;)

Agree once again! What I or anyone else would have paid for it is irrelevent we weren't buying it. I think you did fine!