Help me ID this "80hp" Mercury

series9

Seaman Apprentice
This engine is new to me. The cowl says "80", but the parts diagrams don't match up.

Serial number 3751760. It's on a 1972 Correct Craft. The serial number charts don't include this numbers as a possible 80hp model.

It has distributorless ignition and a single. fuel pump that differs from the parts diagrams.

Help please.

Attachments

• merc1.JPG
    merc1.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 0
  • merc2.jpg
    merc2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
  • merc3.JPG
    merc3.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 0

series9

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help me ID this "80hp" Mercury

OK, good. That serial number chart is different than the one I found.

In that parts listing, it shows this engine having a distributor and the fuel pump in the diagram doesn't look like the one on the engine.

Moody Blue

Captain

That's not a '72 model Merc for sure. You might have a "frankenMerc" that somebody has pieced together from several different motors. Do you have photos of the motor cowlings?

series9

Seaman Apprentice

Mystery mostly solved. The power head appears to be the same as a '78 model.

I'm glad it has the later ignition.

series9

Seaman Apprentice

Another question: Is there normally a down-lock on these engines? The shocks on this one are shot and it will pop up in reverse if you goose it.

when you put in neutral and reverse, there should be a latch that catches the pin on the trim plate. It opens up when in forward and the shocks are supposed to protect the motor if you run over a sandbar or something.

Moody Blue

Captain

Yes there is normally a reverse lockout mechanism.

When the motor is shifted into reverse gear, a reverse lock cam in the lower unit activates a push rod that engages two hooks that lock the motor in the down position. THese hooks are located midway down the midsection of the motor just behind the transom clamp bracket.