Evinrude 40 hp not charging and not idleing.

R-man

Recruit
Hi guys I,m a first timer, I just got a 1990 40hp Evinrude ele. start about a month ago on a pontoon , it doe,s not like to idle very good ,in or out of gear. In gear after about 1800 rpm it seems to run fine all the time.It tops out about 4100 rpm, below 1800 rpm it will slowly drop then stall. It will charge about 12.5 on the volt gage, in gear at higher rpm,s it goes up to about 13 volts, If i turn on any lights the voltage will drop, would low charging affect the idling ? and low end performence? With the tach still working doe,s that mean the rectifier is good? I put a new battery in it and new plugs, no change , did a compression test , 140 in both dry, wet test 153 in one , 157 in other . I have worked on cars , motorcycles, tractors but not outboard engines, its a different breed. I need some advice! Thanks for any advice !

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 40 hp not charging and not idleing.

The charging circuit is separate and has nothing to do with how it runs. There is a separate stator and charge coil up under the flywheel. It will even run fine without a battery, but the rectifier won't like it much....