indiana to ohio titling info

Morel_Master

Seaman Apprentice
hello all, i have a quick question for anyone who may have an answer and some advice to go with it, ....i live in ohio, and across the state line in indiana this guy has a sweet old 16 ft. fisher marine jon boat with a 15hp evinrude, i want to upgrade from my 12 ft jon, only issue is he got the boat before 1986, so in indiana he did not need a title, therefore never got one since then, now ohio requires a title for the boat/motor because the motor is over 10hp, now this boat i can get for 500$, i am wondering what i should do, and how difficult it will be to obtain a clean new ohio title? he does have it registered, or did a while back, it has hull numbers.....i really dont want to get stuck with a boat that i can do nothing with, how hard is this going to be, or would it be easier to have him go get a title, which im not sure i can get him to do or not, if its not that much trouble ill apply for it myself...please any advice is so greatly appreciated, as i think this could be a very good deal on my part im just lost .......

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: indiana to ohio titling info

Call Ohio DMV or whoever handles boat/motor registrations and ask them. Surely it can be done, since many states do not register outboards at all.

86 century

Ensign
Re: indiana to ohio titling info

If you can get them to do it Ohio hast to honor Indian laws.

If they won't (good chance of that) buy the thing get a bill of sale police inspection in Indiana.
When you get to the bmv in Indiana you can get a title for the boat but Indiana doesn't title outboard.