14' fisherman boat prop depth?

i just bought a 14' fisherman alum boat. has a 9.9 hp evinrude short shaft. back of the boat was rebuilt and im not sure if it was built correctly. boat go's ok but will not plain out for anything. really want to know how deep the propeller should be from the bottom of the boat or is there something else im doing incorect.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 14' fisherman boat prop depth?

A transom usually has about a 15 degree angle leaning out from the boat.
The anti vent plate (just above the prop) should be about even with the bottom of the transom.
Might be a little lower but ideally about even with the bottom.
Boat should plane easily and run about 18-20 with a light load.
The motor has a trim adjustment, prop closest to the boat usually planes quick but will lay down too flat at speed.
usually 2nd hole is cose to what you need but plat with the rim. trimming up (prop away from the boat) will raise the bow' will plane slower but usually run faster too much up trim bow will bounce. If the transom is to perpendicular you may note be able to trim down enough for ideal hole shot.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Hi Tyler. Welcome to iboats. Steelspike is right. The motor's height and trim adjustments can make a huge difference in performance, as well as proper weight distribution. You may want to try rearranging the layout of the boat, such as putting batteries and/or fuel tanks closer to the bow to help more evenly distribute the load. If the boat has/had any wooden components (decks benches, etc...) be sure that they're dry and not waterlogged causing the boat to weigh more than it should either. You can also use yourself as ballast and move farther forward int the boat my using a tiller extender, or installing a helm. I made a great little tiller extender for my '66 20 hp from 1 1/4" thin-walled PVC. You just cut it to length, add a few slits to one end, drill and slip it over the stock tiller and secure it in place with a couple pip clamps and voila. You can now sit, or stand, more towards the center of the boat which should help even the weight out a bit too. It also takes the strain off of your shoulder caused by reaching back to grab the stock tiller all day. It should also make steering much easier. They make fancy carbon fiber versions, but mine was only about $2 and works like a charm. Unfortunately, there's no real formula to finding the best set up. You just have to spend a day on the water doing lots of trial and error until you find what works best for you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

JP 1.jpg20120106164655.jpgback rear 3.jpg

Attachments

• tiller.jpg
    tiller.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0

+1. Hi Tyler. Welcome to iboats. Steelspike is right. The motor's height and trim adjustments can make a huge difference in performance, as well as proper weight distribution. You may want to try rearranging the layout of the boat, such as putting batteries and/or fuel tanks closer to the bow to help more evenly distribute the load. If the boat has/had any wooden components (decks benches, etc...) be sure that they're dry and not waterlogged causing the boat to weigh more than it should either. You can also use yourself as ballast and move farther forward int the boat my using a tiller extender, or installing a helm. I made a great little tiller extender for my '66 20 hp from 1 1/4" thin-walled PVC. You just cut it to length, add a few slits to one end, drill and slip it over the stock tiller and secure it in place with a couple pip clamps and voila. You can now sit, or stand, more towards the center of the boat which should help even the weight out a bit too. It also takes the strain off of your shoulder caused by reaching back to grab the stock tiller all day. It should also make steering much easier. They make fancy carbon fiber versions, but mine was only about $2 and works like a charm. Unfortunately, there's no real formula to finding the best set up. You just have to spend a day on the water doing lots of trial and error until you find what works best for you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

View attachment 159913View attachment 159915View attachment 159912

thank you very much! the plate above the perpeller is an inch an a half above the bottom of the boat. really appreciate the help!