6HP Johnson gear shift came out, help!

HantsCounty

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, have a older 1968ish 6HP outboard. The gear shift on the left side that shifts into gear and reverse was getting very weak, could move it all over. Out fishing last night and went to put it in gear and it went in but then the handle came right out of the motor. now when I put it back in it just spins and spins. But atleast the motor is in gear so I can still use it to get off the water. Looks like I need to take the whole motor off to get in to see whats wrong?? I am is there an easy way in? Here is a picture of the motor,
thanks for the help!

IMG-20120629-00184.jpgIMG-20120629-00186.jpg

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6HP Johnson gear shift came out, help!

Remove the powerhead, easy job, piece of cake. The repair will be self explanatory.

Johnson hood, Evinrude engine..... model number on plate on port transom bracket or on a small core plug on powerhead?

HantsCounty

Seaman Apprentice

the only # I can find is on the cap, 00002979
just powerhead just un bolts and pulls up I take it. still new to outboards

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that's about it. THe marjority of the components can be left on the powerhead. Look it over and disconnect/remove only what's necessary.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Remove the vertical throttle control shaft (just for ease of re-assembly).

Disconnect the inlet fuel hose.

Pull the starter cord out a foot or so, and stick the handles of a pair of pliers under the plastic gear, which will keep it from rewinding. Remove the handle, pull the rope out of the front panel, and tie a slip knot in it to prevent rewinding when you accidently knock those pliers out.

Remove the knobs from the carburetor.

Remove the seven screws holding the powerhead, and lift it off.

There is a lever on the inside of that shifter shaft. It has come off for some reason. You will know when you see it. My guess is the screw broke, and then the lever broke because there was no screw in it.

You need a new powerhead gasket, and a 303355 gasket and 303347 o-ring for the seal assembly. This is a very good time to inspect that seal. It must be 100% good condition, or it will slowly destroy the powerhead,

HantsCounty

Seaman Apprentice

yes looks like that is the problem. Screw broke off and the lever looks to be broke as well. But I cannot figure out how to get the lever out. So how do I get the lever out? it is too close to the side to just slide out. Any chance you have the part # for the lever?
Thanks again!

also when I took the starter off it did unspin and pop up. Didn't have a chance to read that before I took the powerhead off. SO what do I need to do when I put this back together to correctly rewind it?
And when I screw the needle back into the carb, how many turns out from bottom should it be?

HantsCounty

Seaman Apprentice

hey guys, got all the parts, going to put the powerhead back on tonight, but just need to know what the best, and "right" way to get this starter rewound back up correctly. and if you have any input on how far I screw the needle back into the carb?
Thanks again!

nwcove

Admiral

no problem whatsoever.......as long its the right year and hp. ( if you want you can pm me your email, and i will send you a generic pdf file on the starter rewind assembly)