New OMC owner, a couple questions

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First off, I just picked up a 1990 Sunbird 17' with an OMC I/O in it. The engine is the Ford 2.3 (I think), and I'm pretty sure the drive is a Cobra, but I was hoping someone more experienced could verify that for me. The numbers on the engine tag are:
Model: 232BMRMEF
Serial: T1146472

I was also hoping someone could give me a couple replacement part numbers?
1: Points/condenser set?
2: Impeller?

Also, could someone please give me a breif explanation of how the ESA works? I've only ever had experience with Mercruiser setups before, and I've been told that OMC used some kind of electronic module to assist in shifting into neutral, not just a cutout switch. When I bought the boat, the PO said last time he took it out it would idle fine, but would bog down and backfire when he tried to run it up on plane. After some preliminary inspection, I noticed that someone (PO?) had bypassed the ballast resistor and hooked the ignition wire straight to the coil. I have enough mechanical experience to know that without some sort of resistance in the primary ignition circuit, the points will burn out and cause just the sort of symptoms he described. I also know a fuel delivery problem or a carb issue could cause this, but the bypassed ballast is the most obvious problem at the moment. If someone has it, I'd really appreciate a wiring diagram of the ignition circuit so I could be sure to get it hooked up properly. Thanks guys!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: New OMC owner, a couple questions

Howdy,

Your engine/drive is an 89 model.

232BMRMEF 1989

You can go to http://epc.brp.com for part numbers. just click "View Parts Catalogs" (email not required)

Click the drop down menu and select Stern Drive

Navigate to 1989 and you'll find the 2.3 model.

You find all the part numbers. Then just google search for them. There's many suppliers out there.

Have a look at http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/ and get yourself an OEM service manual for your model year.

Cheers,

Rick

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New OMC owner, a couple questions

Thanks Rick! I just looked up the numbers of everything I think I need so far and found it all on Ebay. Very helpful!