Boat keeps dying after adjusting forward switch cable

backsidewake

Cadet
I have a 1997 Regal 2100 LRS

The engine has run strong since purchase in 1997 but a few problems with the shift cable began several years ago, so finally I plan to restore this beauty to its former glory!!!

The boat would make a loud grinding noise when going from neutral to forward, and would not switch unless you push the lever far enough. So... I tightened the forward shift cable by rotating the barell and the problem was solved.

However, a new problem arose... The boat would not switch back into neutral easily from forward and reverse. So... I checked the shift interupt switch and it turns out that the switch was unplugged (probably by the only, crudy boat mechanic in my hometown). After reconeccting the switch, the new problem was solved.

However, and not surprisingly, a new problem arose... The boat cranks well and idles okay, but when as I begin to accelerate the boat begins to stall and then die. Also when left ideling sometimes it will die. Almost like it is running out of gas but it has plenty.

Could I have done something to cause this and does anyone know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks for your help!!!

backsidewake

Cadet
Re: Boat keeps dying after adjusting forward switch cable

Could it be ideling too low or too high?

The RPM gauge is not working so I cannot tell.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

That sounds more like a fuel delivery problem that something in the shift interupt. Fuel filter, dirt in carb, debris in fuel pickup check valve, low fuel pressure etc.

backsidewake

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply...

It wasnt having the problem before I adjusted anything, as a matter of fact it was running strong and never stalled. But I will check those options in the morning.