1987 Will not start!

jcbob

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I have searched but could not find an answer to my problem. I have a 1987 Sylvan Ski Tastic with a mercruiser one 260/v8.

We were out riding one day with the rpm about 4000 and all of a sudden the the boat slowed to about 2000 rpm and then slowed to a stop and cut off. When I try to start it, the engine cranks but will not start.

Boating is a new adventure to me, so I do not know where to start, but I am very eager to learn!

Thank you kn advance!

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Will not start!

Fuel, air, compression, spark. Find out what is missing from your equation and the solution will be handed to you!

jcbob

Cadet

Ok, that makes sense. The only thing that threw me off was the fact that it dropped rpm by itself. So if I take care of those 4 things it should be ok?

Thank you

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

get a multimeter and see if you have power to the coil when ignition is switched on.
assume you have fuel too!!!

Leori

Cadet

did it start again once it cooled off? If so, likely culprit electrical related, sometimes coils overheat wich builds resistance and can reduce spark, in sich case, i'd recommend new coil, wires, and plugs properly gapped, once you are getting spark, fuel is the next likely as being carbed the air shouldn't be much of a problem. can try changing fuel filter and water separator, can also pull the fuel line and run fresh fuel in a small gas can to get her started (only takes a little) fouled fuel happens a lot with the ethanol crap they put into the gas now

bonniesouth

Cadet

coil coil coil. check the voltage on the battery side of the coil. If you have ample voltage you should get a spark. Take the resistance wire that runs from the coil to the top of your distributor cap off at the distributor cap. Hold the connector end 1/2 inch away from a good grounded area on your block that isnt painted and turn you key to the on position and you should get a thick blue spark. If you don't then there can be a number of issues. That you will need to investigate

jcbob

Cadet

did it start again once it cooled off? /QUOTE]

Right after it cut off, it would not start and it would only turn over sometimes. Mostly when I tried I got nothing. Then a few days later, it turns over great but just wont start.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

get a multumeter .there's no miracle cures and we need more info.earths may need cleaning.pull cap and tell us condition inside.
when was it serviced last???????????

jcbob

Cadet

coil coil coil. check the voltage on the battery side of the coil. If you have ample voltage you should get a spark. Take the resistance wire that runs from the coil to the top of your distributor cap off at the distributor cap. Hold the connector end 1/2 inch away from a good grounded area on your block that isnt painted and turn you key to the on position and you should get a thick blue spark. If you don't then there can be a number of issues. That you will need to investigate

I tried to get a spark but I did not get one. Now, it may have been because I couldn't get the rubber part away from the connector so that may have kept it from sparking.

Also, I have not had a chance to get a multumeter yet. I am going to try and go get one today. When I get it what do I want to check?

One last question. This does not have anything to do with my problem. Like I said, I am new to boating, so I am wanting to know what the cap in the bottom right hand of the picture goes to (what do I put in here). The one that is next to the belt the comes up. mercruiser.jpg

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

its for power steering fluid.
check for 12 v at coil.

jcbob

Cadet

I finally got the multimeter. I turned the power on and got 12.8 volts on the battery. I then tested the wires going to the coil and got nothing.

Steps from here?

jcbob

Cadet

Also, I have been doing a lot of research today, and I found that some engines have an oil pressure safety cut off switch. Would my engine have that? If it does, I feel this could also be related.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That's not a resistance wire!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I finally got the multimeter. I turned the power on and got 12.8 volts on the battery. I then tested the wires going to the coil and got nothing.

Test with the ign. key in the run position. Meter on VDC, black test lead on battery ground, red test lead on + terminal of the coil.

Do you still have 0 volts? If so, check the ignition switch to make sure it has power on the purple wire (in run position) and check the lanyard kill switch.

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, I have been doing a lot of research today, and I found that some engines have an oil pressure safety cut off switch. Would my engine have that? If it does, I feel this could also be related.

I had a 1986 5.7 Liter and had a turn over- no start situation. The guages didn't work and come to find out it was a fuseable link to the coil from the ignition. Perhaps it as a fuse at the ignition switch?

jcbob

Cadet

Test with the ign. key in the run position. Meter on VDC, black test lead on battery ground, red test lead on + terminal of the coil.

Do you still have 0 volts? If so, check the ignition switch to make sure it has power on the purple wire (in run position) and check the lanyard kill switch.

I did this and got 12v. Thank you for the instructions. So I do have power running into the coil. What steps would be next?

jcbob

Cadet

I had a 1986 5.7 Liter and had a turn over- no start situation. The guages didn't work and come to find out it was a fuseable link to the coil from the ignition. Perhaps it as a fuse at the ignition switch?

When I turn the key to the on position the gas and battery gauge turn on and the oil pressure goes to 0 (this isnt when I try to crank it but just when the key is in the on position)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you have power to the coil, here are your next steps.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TB4.jpg
    TB4.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0

jcbob

Cadet

Since you have power to the coil, here are your next steps.

attachment.php

Ok, I understand the coil runs into the distributor cap. I went out to the boat and tried to troubleshoot, but I do not understand what the wht/red terminal is. I may not be looking in the right place, but I do not see where this is.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I would get a spark plug tester and make sure you have spark. You can pull the plug and ground the threads while it is connected to the wire and cranking to see if it is sparking or you can even use a screwdriver, I am sure you can find a video on youtube to explain. If you have spark, I would think about a bad fuel pump. Should be able to take the flame arrester off and pump the throttle with the key off and watching down in the throttle blades for fuel spray to see if you have the fuel pump pumping fuel.