Refreshed 9.9hp , Now starter slowly turns after engine starts

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hello again

I finally got time and money to put into my 1982 9.9hp(15) Evinrude. Done the water pump , fuel pump , carb , recoil starter and plugs. Everything working as planned and I'm loving this little motor. *BUT* I noticed the spring that keeps the cog with the teeth down when running is weak and deformed, it does do it's job and keeps the starter cog down and away from the flywheel.

Also after I start the motor the starter still spins (about half or less of the normal starting speed). When I try to stop it with one finger the cog stops turning one way and starts to rise to engage the flywheel and then hits the flywheel abit and then falls down and continues to spin slowly. When the started cog is down it isn't toching anything to make it spin, it's almost like it's getting 12v from somewere but not spinning at full starting speed. When the engine is off the starter always turns off.

I tried it both with and without the battery hooked up. It's gonna burn up the starter if I don't figure this out. I mean if the flywheel isn't turning the starter cog and the battery is disconnected, how in the hell is this starter spinning slowly?

Very weird....

I know it's critical *BUT* I can't remember if the starter did this before or after the work Iv'e done to it, very amateurish I know.

Thanks guys !!

DamianJP

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Refreshed 9.9hp , Now starter slowly turns after engine starts

Can the rectifier that charges the system when the motor is running be powering up the starter some how?
I mean how is it spinning, must be getting juice from some were.

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you tried a new or different starter solenoid?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

My 77 Rude uses just a push button(no solenoid) to power the starter; could you have the wire from the rectifier on the wrong side of the push button? This would let power from the rectifier (6 amps) go straight to the starter instead of the battery. I know this is a push but look at it anyway. Good luck

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys!! MilliesDad and Will Bark !!!

Gonna do some diggin' tomorrow. Seems about right, the starter is turning slow like it's not getting full 12v but still getting some juice.
I think it's the same setup you have Will , Push button with no Solenoid.

So just swap the 2 wires on the button and test?

Thanks,
DamianJP

Will Bark

Lieutenant

On mine the wire from the rectifier goes on the screw that has the wire from the positve side of the battery so that rectifier can charge the battery. Hope this helps.