Lower End Removal 84 35hp Mercury

Skidooosl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

I have a 1984 35 hp Mercury that I am trying to replace the impeller in. I see all the bolts to remove the lower unit but I do not see a way to disconnect the shift rod for removal. Where is this done at? most outboards I have worked on in the past had a bolt that would disconnect the lower part of the shift shaft to allow the lower unit to be pulled out. I have a Seloc manual that covers so many motors it has not really been much help and searching didnt turn up a whole lot.

This is the first Mercury I have really worked on... its been all OMC and Yamaha in the past.... anything special I should know going in?

Thanks for all the help!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Lower End Removal 84 35hp Mercury

You haven't included the s/n but if it is an '84, here is the parts list:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/412.cfm

See item 19 under SHIFT CONTROL LINKAGE which connects to the splined upper end of the lower shift rod, item 43 under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT),

Once you have the attaching hardware undone and are ready to drop the LU the shift shafts will separate from their splines.

When you drop the LU, note the position of the reverse locking cam, item 43 under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT). If you remove it, mark the position as it will make life a lot easier when you re-install.

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual which will help you as it shows the cam poisition required if you have a problem. Download this to your computer soonest as the link is short lived.

Gerry