Force-40 HP, 1997 won't start

pgathany

Recruit
I've have this boat and motor for about two month. It has been running great when it's been on the water. Now it won't start.

Here some background in hopes it will save some time in determining the issue:

When I bought the boat, the previous owner told me the fuel gauge didn't work. It pegged when the ignition was turned on.

The boat sat for about three weeks, due to hot weather and a fishing trip to Canada. 3 or four days ago, I decided to launch into the fuel gauge issue. I found under the dashboard in the cockpit, many of the ground wires evidenced heat and some melted together. Armed with a volt/ohm meter, I located a short in the section of cable that led to the fuel gauge. Since there was a connector in the line, it was easy to separate and replace those wires. I then replace or insulated the remaining ground wires. All is good. The fuel gauge works! Everything seems to be as they should be.

Now, when I crank the engine. It won't start. When the ignition is on, I have voltage at the fuse in the motor. But, it sounds like is isn't trying to fire, even when I use starter fluid in the carb. Checked the plugs...looked good, but still cleaned them. All connectors seem tight. What else do I need to look at, or consider?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force-40 HP, 1997 won't start

Look at the Kill Switch, or Kill Switch wiring from the ignition switch. The Kill switch circuit "grounds" the ignition signal to the CDM (Coil modules) which stops the engine when you turn the ignition key to the OFF position. Also make sure the Kill Switch lanyard is attached so that the ignition system will fire the coils.

Be careful when using straight starting fluid on a 2-stroke motor. It will wash all the oil off of the bearings and cylinder walls. 2-stroke motors rely on the oil in the fuel for lubrication.

pgathany

Recruit
Re: Force-40 HP, 1997 won't start

I will follow you suggestions. And thanks for the heads up on using starter fluid.

Krryappleton

Recruit
Hello everyone.. I have a 90 something 40hp force I can't find the exact year but I'm not getting any fire out of the coil packs.. Any information would be great thank you!

tommarvin

Ensign
It sounds like a ground wire is loose, broken, or not connected.
What caused the ground wires to burn?
It worked before you fixed the fuel gauge, What's different now.
Did the ignition switch get burned up, you can test it,to see if ok.
Does the flywheel turn ,when you turn the key?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Hello everyone.. I have a 90 something 40hp force I can't find the exact year but I'm not getting any fire out of the coil packs.. Any information would be great thank you!

You should start your own post this one is 4 yrs old