Mercruiser carb rebuild question

Jefferyg63

Cadet
The boat is a 96 Bayliner Capri 1750 LS with 3.0L. Boat is new to me, and runs great. Prob is that it is hard to start when warm. It requires appx half throttle to get it started, and sometimes diesels on shutdown.
I rebuilt the carb and reinstalled on boat. It now runs a little smoother, but still has the hot start symptom .
When the engine is shut down, I can see fuel dripping into the carb. So it's flooding itself .

I assume the carb has been rebuilt sometime in the past because it's not painted black.

I watched YouTube videos on the rebuild, and I found an issue on mine.
The video showed a check ball, screen, and clip that goes in the throttle pump chamber. Mine did not have that. There was nothing in the chamber. Is my carb missing these, or did not all carbs have it?

Thks, Jeff

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser carb rebuild question

I just rebuilt mine. I picture [in my mind]the parts you are missing is under the venturi cluster, correct? I would sure think lack of those parts could cause both the problems you are having.. Whats your carb num by the way???

Jefferyg63

Cadet

I just rebuilt mine. I picture [in my mind]the parts you are missing is under the venturi cluster, correct? I would sure think lack of those parts could cause both the problems you are having.. Whats your carb num by the way???

I think that you are talking about the check ball, spring , and the little "T" . I have that.
This video showed a check ball and screen that went into the accelerator pump housing. My carb did not have that.

Don't know why fuel is dripping in when shut down. I adjusted float at 14 mm with the spring and seat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have to be careful watching videos of things like that, especially if you don't have the same exact carb. There are lots of little internal variations on the inside in carbs that look identical outside.

Jefferyg63

Cadet

You have to be careful watching videos of things like that, especially if you don't have the same exact carb. There are lots of little internal variations on the inside in carbs that look identical outside.
Understood... Just used the video as a reference and the rebuild kit instructions as primary.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Just solved my "dripping fuel" issue on my Rochester 2-jet. It was a tiny piece of metal shaving which was not allowing the needle to seat completely. Sounds like a bad needle and/or seat seal or a float issue...it is brass...right?

Jefferyg63

Cadet

Just solved my "dripping fuel" issue on my Rochester 2-jet. It was a tiny piece of metal shaving which was not allowing the needle to seat completely. Sounds like a bad needle and/or seat seal or a float issue...it is brass...right?

The float is plastic nitro filled. I did not replace it.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Can you pinpoint for us where the fuel is dripping into the carb? Jets? Acc pump? Sight flow tube? (I had same prob and traced it to bad fuel pump diaphragm).