19?? Starcraft 18' Holiday

sling_shot

Cadet
Hello!
I've been thinking about getting a boat for a while. After I finally decided to go with an aluminum boat, I found this site... So happy that I did!

I bought this boat earlier this week. PO sold it as a 1974 (I'm almost positive it isn't). How would I go about figuring what year this boat actually is? I have gone through brochures, there is a 'Plate' on the back of the boat - the serial number starts with a 61 - XXXXXX. There is no Hull ID number that I could find on the boat - possibly not looking in the right place. Does it really matter if the Model Year on the registration is wrong? I live in Michigan, I don't know if Michigan really cares if the Model Year is correct.

I've never owned an Aluminum boat before - had a glasser 12 years or so ago. That was a story unto itself, that didn't end well...

Hopefully I've learned from other people's experiences of posting pictures.... Here she is....
IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

Any idea what year this really is?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 19?? Starcraft 18' Holiday

Way back then the first two digits on the SN indicated the year. If it was a '74 the HIN would be on the outside starboard transom and would start STR. One more clue is the wrap around windshield. '74 had a flat, angular WS. This brochure has the '61 Holiday specs and a pic.

The dash looks like it came from an airplane. It's loaded. The old seems to be in good shape. What serial no. does the state paperwork say? As long as all the boat and state numbers match, it's what the state says. But I don't think it really matters.

Welcome to the Tin Nuts Flotilla. Do you have pics of the interior? Have fun and enjoy your stay.

sling_shot

Cadet
Re: 1961 Starcraft 18' Holiday

I had pretty much come to the conclusion that it was a '61 (from brochure and the serial number starting with 61)

I think overall the boat is in really good shape.

I think my one concern is the transom. One of the previous owners appears to have put in these brackets. The wood itself seems pretty solid. I haven't been able to crawl all the way under the splashwell due to an unrelated injury, so I can't see the bottom part...
IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

The floor feels really solid - I checked this out extensively due to past experience.

The dash panel is one of the most interesting things about this boat.

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

GA_Boater

Oh, oh. I don't like seeing added braces on a transom. For some reason people are afraid of tackling transom replacement in these boats. The hardest thing is taking the motor off. Check for cracks in the splashwell. If the transom wood rot gets to an advanced stage the splashwell takes the brunt of the motor's thrust and begins to crack. And if the owner doesn't R/R the transom, the quick and disastrous fix is to add bracing similar to the ones you have. Just a heads up, sling-shot.

BTW - I really like that dash with all the bells and whistles. Thanks for the pics.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's a cool looking boat. Looks like it's in decent shape too, although I agree with GA about the braces on the transom. Try to poke around under the splashwell on it if you can, maybe recruit somebody else to crawl under there if you can't yourself.
Also like GA said, it isn't a real big deal to replace it on these.
Good luck and have fun!

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome ss, real nice looking boat, awsome dash. I would be a little worried about the transom, between the added braces and all the caulk piled up between the slpash well and the transom.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome and hope the injury doesn't keep you from using the new addition if all pans out to be in great shape.

Transom braces usually to beef up support a weakened transom, which even on a tinny can find it's way into weaken a deck. Even if you have to remote view the under splash w/ a video shot from a cellphone, the sooner the better. And keep her well covered, esp if you're currently not ready to start rebuild mode if ya find some soft wood. It may well be a 50yr old instead of a 40, but SC didn't do much to help them last this long. Under prepped decking especially the back/down side

sling_shot

Cadet

Thank you so much all of you...

I think you all confirmed the one thing that had been rattling around in my head. Why those braces are there. I was hoping one of the PO's had put them there to help stabilize the downriggers...

IMG_2317.jpg

but that doesn't seem to be the case. The splashwell looks good and solid. I will go through it again tomorrow. And I will recruit one of my little helpers to get some pictures of the transom under the splashwell...

Based on this picture - I think I may have to something with the fuel tank.

IMG_2318.jpg

The PO told me he used this boat in mostly Lake Michigan for off-shore trolling and perch fishing.

I've been digging through some of the restorations before I purchased this boat to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into, and trying to decide between a boat that may need a little work, or a lot of work (full resto). I'm guessing it is possible to do the transom without ripping out the deck - but what are the factors that go into being able to do just a transom repair? How much clearance would I need between the transom and where the deck ends to "yank" the transom out? Or does the deck run into the transom, in which case, do I have to trim back a couple inches of the deck to get the transom out?

This type of thing doesn't freak me out - but I did want to get out on the water before the season ends. I'm wondering if this will be a must fix now, or a must fix come fall/winter.... guessing I'll know more after I get some pics under the splashwell...

GA_Boater

I think the fuel tank might have to come out to really get a good look at the transom. The tank covers up too much. When you cab see under there check all the through transom bolts. Those are one of the prime sources for leaks and subsequent rot. Hope your lucky and the bracing is for the outrigger board.

Something else I noticed about the splashwell. I think it's been cut down. Usually the SW front top is just about even with the gunnels. Look at this thread for the Holiday of CBGale2, first post, fourth pic. Compare CB's and your's. Also post 46 has some good pics of the under SW after floor removal. And BTW - the floor is not tied into the transom wood. The transom ends just above the floor in a channel. Both are totally separate and can be R/R'ed independently.

Good luck, SS.

sling_shot

Cadet

I was able to get under the splashwell and get some pictures of the transom... based on these, I'm looking to replace the transom this winter...

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

sling_shot

Cadet

Something else I noticed about the splashwell. I think it's been cut down. Usually the SW front top is just about even with the gunnels. Look at this thread for the Holiday of CBGale2, first post, fourth pic. Compare CB's and your's.
Good luck, SS.

How big of a deal is the SW not reaching the gunnels? Is this a safety issue? How would I go about fixing this? Do I need to look into bending some aluminum?

GA_Boater

Think the transom life is getting short. It may not be leaking and is still supporting the motor now, but glad you're planning on a winter re-do. Seeing the extra wood under it makes me think the PO was trying to buy some time if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

On the SW - Not so much a safety issue as keeping water out of the boat. With the front being low it makes the SW very shallow and if water comes over the stern it could wash inside the boat. Also the SW does help add stability to the transom.

Post a few more pics of the SW, from the rear and both left & right sides. Did you see what I was talking about the links to CB's Holiday?

North Beach

Commander

OK guys this boat is a Semi Vee hull which makes it a Pre-63 and the bow plate is different from what we see in all the 60's and 70's boats so it's deff not a 62 so it just may be a 61 (the pic isn't clear in the brochures section and I don't have a 61). Remember, in the big 4 Starcraft went to the Deep VEE in 63 and The Concave Vee in I think 64. Also it has the lapstrakes all the way to the bottom that's an early model thing.

Sorry GA but that windshield thing is usefull in addition to other factors but hull type is really what narrows it down during this time period. And in the 60's some of the serial numbers actually meant something. Here's the hull information that I use first when trying to determine year/model.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=565646

And if you look at the brochure I think the splashwell was just a tad different on this model year. You can't compare it to a late 60's or early 70's Holiday.

Here's the 62 Holiday. Check out the splashwell.

62 Holiday.jpg

And is it just me or does that tramsom wood look like it's put together waaay different that what you folks are used to seeing. I don't see the channels on the sides and bottoms that the wood slides into. This could be an altogether different beast...

barato2

Commander

NB, that was kinda my reaction to transom too. also the line up by the "ears" where it looks like it was 2 pieces....somethin a little weird there.

dozerII

Admiral

I would say that transom is on it's last leg, it looks like there is crack in the top starboard bolting flange on the knee brace. Boy would we be lost with out Model knowledge you have NB.

GA_Boater

OK guys this boat is a Semi Vee hull which makes it a Pre-63 and the bow plate is different from what we see in all the 60's and 70's boats so it's deff not a 62 so it just may be a 61 (the pic isn't clear in the brochures section and I don't have a 61). Remember, in the big 4 Starcraft went to the Deep VEE in 63 and The Concave Vee in I think 64. Also it has the lapstrakes all the way to the bottom that's an early model thing.

Sorry GA but that windshield thing is usefull in addition to other factors but hull type is really what narrows it down during this time period. And in the 60's some of the serial numbers actually meant something. Here's the hull information that I use first when trying to determine year/model.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=565646

And if you look at the brochure I think the splashwell was just a tad different on this model year. You can't compare it to a late 60's or early 70's Holiday.

Here's the 62 Holiday. Check out the splashwell.

View attachment 160127

And is it just me or does that tramsom wood look like it's put together waaay different that what you folks are used to seeing. I don't see the channels on the sides and bottoms that the wood slides into. This could be an altogether different beast...

So are you saying early 60's or later, NB? I'm sticking with 61 due to the SN starting with "61" and the flat, non-gull wing stern semi vee just like the first pic in the ID "Solving Year/Model Mystery" thread and yes, the windshield. One more thing - In my eyes the bow cap looks like all the others. Just like my 66 Nassau only smaller. EDIT - <<<<<< smaller should have been larger

Ain't it fun trying to ID the oldies. I wish SC had put out brochures with more than one pic of each model. I'm sure no expert as this.

NB, that was kinda my reaction to transom too. also the line up by the "ears" where it looks like it was 2 pieces....somethin a little weird there.

B2 - A lot of these deep transom cut-out models used a factory three piece transom. The main lower plus the two ears. Most the restos make it a one piece with the ears included with the main as a single unit.

And sling-shot - Ignore all that stuff I said about the splashwell. I was wrong. The brochure pic North Beach posted above shows the lower front. So I think your SW is as designed for a 1961 Holiday. Hope I didn't get your heart pounding - sorry, bud.

Let's put this mystery to bed. Can you get a pic of the Starcraft SN plate?

North Beach

Commander

I'd say the transom is different on this one and it's deff a 61. Maybe I'm just lookin at that bow peice wrong. SS can you get us a couple more pics of that bow casting?

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I'd say the transom is different on this one and it's deff a 61. Maybe I'm just lookin at that bow peice wrong. SS can you get us a couple more pics of that bow casting?

When did they discontinue the torpedo tubes?:facepalm:

barato2

Commander

those are actually Morse docking lights. my holiday has a set too. but i like that idea, might be useful some day

North Beach

Commander

When did they discontinue the torpedo tubes?:facepalm:

Clark lmao...Aftermarket? I just saw the first set a few days ago on some weird guy's boat in the middle of Mexico.... What's he doin with a boat out there????