Spots on logs. What is causing it ?

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My pontoon logs have these spots all over them and I have no idea what is causing it. Any one have an idea ?

log.jpg

Thanks
Randy

Attachments

• log.jpg
    log.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spots on logs. What is causing it ?

i'm thinking oxidation on the allunimum, i'm sure someone will chime in and know for sure. probibly a good cleaner and protector will solve the problem

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Right off hand it looks like normal oxidation and will even out, but if you dont like how it looks you can buff them back out and apply shark hide protectent, that will keep it looking like new for years.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Are they starting to build up so you can feel them, water spots you can't feel so if you can feel them or there is a white residue coming off of them it is electrolisis and you need to get some anodes on the tubes and motor pod.

If it were simply oxidation it would be across the whole tube, what you have is just below the water line which makes me think it is the electrolisis, I worked on boat that had it really bad once, kinda like little tiny pillars of white powder all over the boat.

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think it is electrolysis and I'm going to try some anodes like 5150abf stated.