alignment trouble

tonyjklh

Cadet
so I just pulled my drive to install some new seals. I know I have the up and down alignment good by coating the tool with a little grease and looking at the teeth marks. but it is binding on the right side? the tool will slide in almost all the way with ease. I little force will slide it the last 1/4 inch. how can I adjust the sideways alignment? or is there even a way? if not, how can it be misaligned that way?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: alignment trouble

First, turn the engine half a turn and see if the alignment changes. What engine are we talking about here? Year? Have you done any transom work or anything like that?

tonyjklh

Cadet

3.0l cobra. I did just turn the engine over and it did change

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Then you don't want to move the engine. Didn't think it should suddenly be off to one side.
Was it stored for a long time the the drive all the way up? That can push the coupler to one side and the rubber will take a set.
Split the difference in your alignment and take it for a run. Then recheck it and see if things don't work better.

tonyjklh

Cadet

Then you don't want to move the engine. Didn't think it should suddenly be off to one side.
Was it stored for a long time the the drive all the way up? That can push the coupler to one side and the rubber will take a set.
Split the difference in your alignment and take it for a run. Then recheck it and see if things don't work better.

yes the boat was stored for 3 years before I bought it. but I have run it many times shortly after buying it. wouldn't that have been enough running to have straitened the coupler back out already?