Volvo Penta 125A not pumping water

bunk02

Cadet
I have a Bayliner Capri with the Volvo Penta 125A motor in it. I recently posted on here because the copper coolant pipe which goes from the water pump to the strainer was leaking around the seal. I installed a new gasket and added extra support to the bolt under the pipe that helps hold it up. Motor fired right up and everything seemed fine aside from a small drip leak from the other end of the pipe going into the water pump. Wanting it to be perfect, I disconnected it, put new gaskets on that side, and ran a little liquid seal around the outside. Gave it a few days to dry, fired it up today and everything seemed fine, until I noticed a trickle of smoke coming from the strainer lid. Took it off and found the strainer bone dry, as was the pipe running from it to the water pump. The pump is brand new, have no idea why it wouldn't be working, the was water in it that I could feel when I stuck my finger in the outlet after disconnecting teh copper pipe. Haven't taken the pump completely off yet, when/if I do, what should I be looking for aside from a ground up impeller. Like I said it is brand new, not sure why it would be broke already.

bunk02

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta 125A not pumping water

Just remembered, there may be a rubber gasket between the strainer and heat exchanger which was lef out. Could this cause an air leak which would prevent the water pump system to work properly?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nope, you have an air leak between the drive and the pump. Could be a hose, tube, or seal on the drive. One common place is the hose connection on the drive for the water hose. They corrode away, look fine but suck air.
You also need a lot of water pressure on the muffs and plug the hole in the bottom of the drive (Secondary pickup) in order to get enough water for the pump to work.

bunk02

Cadet

I don't use muffs, never could get them to work right. I use a 55 gallon barrel cut in half with the hydrofoil taken off so it fits. The pump was working great, the only thing that happened in between it working great and not at all, was me taking the strainer off so I could replace the sealing gasket between it and the cooling pipe going to the water pump. When I reassembled it, I now remember, I forgot to put the gasket between the strainer and heat exchanger back. It is the top #10 on this diagram http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7742840-26-15777D.aspx

bunk02

Cadet

What's the best way to check the hose and neck fitting that bolts onto the outdrive for an air leak? My thought was that I would relower the unit into my barrel, fire up the motor, and spray a mix of water and bubble liquid around the area and look for bubbling. That is how I used to check for leaks in car tires years ago when I worked in a shop.

Maclin

Admiral

When the engine is running the air is being drawn in, not forced out under pressure, so there will be no bubbles. To test with engine off and the boat on the trailer you can adapt a garden hose in from the pump side into the hose that goes to the transom, block the intake grates on the drive with duct tape and see where water comes out.

In my opinion, if it is a drive that has not been serviced regularly then just change it out as the original one would definitely be ready to change out now.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When the engine is running the air is being drawn in, not forced out under pressure, so there will be no bubbles. To test with engine off and the boat on the trailer you can adapt a garden hose in from the pump side into the hose that goes to the transom, block the intake grates on the drive with duct tape and see where water comes out.

In my opinion, if it is a drive that has not been serviced regularly then just change out the water neck as the original one would definitely be ready to change out now.

Confused me there for a second, fixed that for you Maclin. :)

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I did check mine by setting up a suction on the piping on the right side of the motor using a common shop vac. Then I used spray on shaving creme, the old white kind along all the seals especially around that hose and neck fitting on the outdrive. It was easy to pinpoint the seals that needed to be replaced including that neck fitting- it looked fine on the outside but was all corroded and leaking underneath. My mechanic couldn't find the leaking seals using a pressurizing method, so I did it myself. Joe

Maclin

Admiral

Confused me there for a second, fixed that for you Maclin. :)

THANKS!!!! I meant the water neck, but my wording sounded like changing out the drive, not my intent... :)

Maclin

Admiral

I would get the hose that goes from inside the transom to that water neck. I think it is part of "Outdrive Connections" diagrams.

I am not sure on the bushing, I know someone else will have good info regarding that.

bunk02

Cadet

Secondary question, pretty sure I know the answer. After further inspection, I pretty much have to disconnect the outdrive from the transom to get to the problem neck.....right?!

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just pull the transmission (upper) good time to change the drive bellows, inspect u-joints and you can see if that bushing needs to be changed. Maybe I missed it, but, have you changed the impeller yet?

bunk02

Cadet

The entire water pump is new so it should be good.

Maclin

Admiral

Secondary question, pretty sure I know the answer. After further inspection, I pretty much have to disconnect the outdrive from the transom to get to the problem neck.....right?!

That is the only way I know of to get at it.

Texascrew

Cadet

I am in the same boat....no pun intended :), I had to remove the upper transmission case and it was very easy for a diy. I followed the instructions as posted here, I removed the helmet thing and then unhooked the cotter pin for the linkage and then disconnected the two 8mm allen bolts and 2 14mm nuts. This allowed the trans/case to be lifted up and away from the bellows for the drive shaft u joints (you will need to take off the hose clamp before you lift it up.)
after you seperate the upper trans from the middle gear box you can just slide the whole thing out and set it to the side.
This will allow the hose connection to be removed from the fixture that holds it. hth
Rick
1993 aq125 w 270 outdrive.
1750 capri
currently working on the cooling system ......thats why i read this post.

bunk02

Cadet

My original issue with thi swhole system was the copper pipe that goes FROM water pump to stariner was leaking. After replacing the sealing gasket AND wrapping a nylon vaccuum hose around the bolt underneath the pipe which goes into the motor itself and provides upwards support to the pipe.....that problem was fixed. Then came this issue.

Texascrew

Cadet

I feel your pain on that....my original problem involved the sea water pump shaft seal leaking. I also had the same leak you are describing on the same pipe. I replaced the pump shaft seal and now the pump will not pull the water up from the lower unit....I think it is losing prime and getting air. I will attack the copper pipes on both the intake and exaust sides afte r I replace the bellows. I am waiting on some advice before i submit my parts order.....I will be replacing the 'hose connection' due to corrosion and deterioration and I will also replace the hose that connects the lower unit to the bulkhead. I have it all apart now.....I would hate to put it together and find out i need to take it back apart. I HATE that!
Rick

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I would replace as many of those little rubber and plastic bushings that you can as long as you have it all apart anyway. Those and the metal water hose fitting are where you tend to lose suction. Joe

leakywire

Cadet

An idea that I read here is to use 1inch clear plastic tubing connecting the transom pipe to the copper pipe which leads to the sea water pump - the one that snakes around the starting motor, once you have this you can see lake water travel, if you see any bubbles you know something is leaking and how bad the leak is based on minor or intense repairs as you make them. The pump design is self-priming as everytime you trailer up the ramp water drains out, not all the water so remember to take the pump fittings off and blow away any residual water away with a shop vacuum before parking in freezing temps.
I feel your pain on that....my original problem involved the sea water pump shaft seal leaking. I also had the same leak you are describing on the same pipe. I replaced the pump shaft seal and now the pump will not pull the water up from the lower unit....I think it is losing prime and getting air. I will attack the copper pipes on both the intake and exaust sides afte r I replace the bellows. I am waiting on some advice before i submit my parts order.....I will be replacing the 'hose connection' due to corrosion and deterioration and I will also replace the hose that connects the lower unit to the bulkhead. I have it all apart now.....I would hate to put it together and find out i need to take it back apart. I HATE that!
Rick