Need help identifying two missing screws on 1968 johnson 9.5

captQuent

Recruit
There are two screws missing on this motor I just bought does anyone know what they are ?

thanks

Attachments

• boat motor picture.jpg
    boat motor picture.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help identifying two missing screws on 1968 johnson 9.5

The one in the cylinder head was for the idle speed adjuster on early modes. Not used on 1968 models.

I believe the screw is simply missing from the carburetor... as well as I can remember

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Here are pics of my 66 Johnson 9.9 (white) and 72 Evinrude (blue). As you can see the 66 has a little fuel hose support bracket that isn't really required and yes, you are missing a screw in the carb.

9.5 006.jpg9.5 007.jpg

captQuent

Recruit

Thanks Aerocook,
very helpful now I just need to know what type screw this is standard or needle jet type? If you don't mind removing it to see that would help a lot .
The problem I am having is that it will run at idle speed and then bog down when you try to open it up thinking the screw may be the cause.

thanks again CaptQuent

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's a regular screw, There are 4 screws that hold the float bowl on, 2 long ones and 2 short ones, you are missing one of the short ones. If you remove the other short one on the starboard side of the carb you will see what you need. As for your bog issue, when was the last time the motor ran? has the carb been taken off and cleaned recently? Your symptom could be a result of a number of issues but I'd put a dirty carb at the top of the list. I had the carb off of my 66 a few days ago for cleaning and it was a piece of cake, not complicated at all.

captQuent

Recruit

Tried running it a few days ago good idle but could not get high speed will put another screw in the missing hole and try cleaning carb. and see if that solves my problem, thanks a bunch for your help and have a great weekend.

thanks CaptQuent