there is a rock in my hole

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 1988 alpha 1 transom assembly and there are two approx 1" diameter holes on the both the port and starboard sides along the edge of the lower section of my gimbal housing. I can figure out what these are for. At first I was thinking they were access holes for some nuts deep within, but they almost seem like drains or extra exhaust ports.<br /><br />Can anyone fill me in on what these are for? I ask because one of these holes is plugged up with a rock and its been impossible to extract.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: there is a rock in my hole

Exhaust ports is what they are.....If one side is plugged, I wouldn't worry too much....<br />Unless you are experiencing a loss of power....JK<br />BTW, how in the world did you get a rock stuck in there?

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Exaust ports for what? Power steering cooling? Its a real mystery to me how that rock got in there, because it's much bigger than that hole.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Engine exhaust & water from cooling system....JK

vipzach

Lieutenant

The exhaust vents through those holes when idling or going slow speeds instead through the prop!

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, so this may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't the exhaust just vent out the exhaust bellows when idling or going slow speeds?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

This may sound dumb... but... are you sure it is a rock? I cannot imagine how a rock could get there unless placed there on purpose. Mud dobbers maybe?? :confused: