Volvo SX: Noise while turning - U-joints?

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,<br /><br />I have a '96 Volvo Penta/Cobra SX on a 4.3GL motor. During the last couple of outings, I've noticed that at planing speed (2700-3000 rpm) when I make a gentle turn to either direction, I get a "grrrr" type noise. Relatively low volume, but definitely audible over the engine and water noises.<br /><br />This is a new boat to me, and the prior maintenance record is unknown.<br /><br />From what I can dig up in the archives, it appears that this is a pretty good sign that I've got u-joint issues. Is this a correct assumption?<br /><br />I was hoping to put off pulling the drive until this fall, but...<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> johnbo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo SX: Noise while turning - U-joints?

Yes, it sounds like ujoints, or even a gimbal bearing. I wouldn't wait. If they come apart they can tear up a lot of expensive parts.<br />It may be that you are getting water in the bellows, water and bearings don't get along very well, and the water will also get into the drive.

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, thanks for the input. I'll start digging into the drive pulling operation. I need to get the model numbers off of the drive system so that I can order the Volvo manuals for it. <br /><br />Has someone written up a decent step by step process for this?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> johnbo

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got a couple of hours at home, long enough to pull the outdrive to go look at gimbal and U-joints. The U-joints are smooth, but upon very close inspection, there is some slight play. Definitely enough to cause a problem. Gotta go to the marine store and pick up a pair of replacements. <br /><br />Gimbal bearing feels very smooth, no roughness or slop. Defintely feels like it is a bit low on grease. Found a lot of thrown grease puddling in the bottom pleats/folds of the bellows.<br /><br />The bellows appear to pretty fresh, no presence of water, just quite a bit of puddled grease. The pleats/folds are pretty full of grease. <br /><br />Does this seem normal? I'm assuming that I'd just wipe the bulk of the grease out, but not worry about getting it spotless.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />johnbo

dubs283

Vice Admiral

As long as you're in there, do an engine alignment, replace gimbal bearing, u-joint bellows, and u-joints

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just pulled out the spiders out of the U-joints. One spider had one end that was rusty and obvious dents in the bearing surfaces. Interesting, the grease passages in this spider was full of grease, while the other spider was completely empty, with just a residual amount in the bearing cups. The bearing surfaces looked good. <br /><br />Of course, all of the U-joints have been ordered along with a new set of bellows and a gimbal bearing. <br /><br />I did find some traces of liquid in the bellows that I had originally thought was grease and/or oil, but I'm pretty sure it is water. <br /><br />I drained the gear oil in the drive unit and upon initial inspection appears to be nice clean oil. So, I don't think that the water got bad enough to contanimate the gear oil. <br /><br />This definitely explains the growl that I was hearing on high speed turns.<br /><br />Thanks to everyone for the collected wisdom that helped me sort through this.<br /><br />Later,<br /><br />johnbo