NOOB to forum. Looking at buying a Used 1984 Dixie Works Super Skier 199

moritz55

Recruit
I'm New to this Forum, but not new to boating. Have been boating for 20 years or so as a child and
renting ski boats while on vacation. My brother and I are looking a picking up a used ski boat relatively
cheap and are handy mechanically and electrically so we recognize so maintenance and work will be necessary.

I welcome feedback as we are looking at buying a 1984 Dixie Boat Super Skier 199 - it had 2 owners and has been garaged. Don't have personal picks will get some today, but last weekend I took a quick look at it and it was in mint condition. Garaged, all original carpets and upholstery, gauges and dash looked new, hull and engine clean.
Engine mounts and rear transom solid and no signs of rotting anywhere around the hull.

It has a 5.7L, 350cuin, 260hp Mecruiser with trailer(& spare tire).

I will be test driving it this Saturday if weather permits with my brother.

Questions on this 1984 Dixie Boat Super Skier 199:
1) Are they well built?

2) Looks like aluminum fuel tank - how many gallons?

3) Any tips to look for other than fiberglass/softness/rot and engine oil,mounts,leaks etc?

4) 5.7L 260hp Merc, prop type or outdrive type (Alpha One ??) anything to checkout special?

I was just looking for feedback on this type of boat and given the age and the price is right I figured I couldn't go wrong if it runs well and checks out fine. I'm handy and have restored several 1970 cars so engines and electrical stuff I can resolve especially with the help of this forum.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Mark

Attachments

• 1984 Dixie Super Skier 199.jpg
    1984 Dixie Super Skier 199.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1984 Dixie Super Skier 199 - 5.jpg
    1984 Dixie Super Skier 199 - 5.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1984 Dixie Super Skier 199 - 2.jpg
    1984 Dixie Super Skier 199 - 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1984 Dixie Super Skier 199 - 3.jpg
    1984 Dixie Super Skier 199 - 3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1984 Dixie Super Skier 199 - 4.jpg
    1984 Dixie Super Skier 199 - 4.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: NOOB to forum. Looking at buying a Used 1984 Dixie Works Super Skier 199

I can't answer any of your questions, but that boat is a beauty!

Rebait

Cadet

Beautiful boat!!! I just joined this forum a little while ago, so sorry for the delay in answering your questions. I have an 18' Dixie Center Console that is very close to your hull design. I bought this boat new in 1980 and I have no complaints at all. It is very quick and I still get compliments on its looks. Fuel tank: Mine has a 36 gallon capacity. As to the rest of your questions, you seem to have it all under control. I hope that it checked out all right and you are enjoying it now.

moritz55

Recruit

Many thanks ... Well after getting a Merc Mechanic to look at it with me and test it test it out I decided to purchase this boat and trailer. I did get it 4 weeks ago and have been using it quite a bit. Tuned the engine a bit as the timing was off at 2 degrees BTDC and I see the manual says 8 BTDC. I have it set at around 9 BTDC at idle ~650RPM so it runs 24 degrees BTDC at 3700 RPM as the manual says since it has the Thunderbolt IV electronic distributor.
I have the idle set per the Merc Manual at 600 RPM in Forward, however I when I shift you can hear the gear engage noticeably more. The idle in Forward was 450-500 RPM which was to low.

Question: What idle to you set yours at and do you hear the gear shift engage (racket into place) ? It sounds louder at 600 RPM in forward (around 700 RPM idling before I shift). Just curious ... Any other tips are welcome.

Also had a new impeller installed and oil in the sterndrive changed since fall is almost here. There was only ~21 oz that drained out and 24 oz is full so I think I'll run it a bit and have it checked again. No signs of oil leaks ... but want to watch it.

Engine runs super ... I had it trimmed up with a full tank and just me in it WOT at 4500 rpm hit 57mph ... On my GPS it was reading 55mph so it will move pretty well. I did add a 4 Blade Hustler 14" x 19p Prop and it made a huge difference in hole shot.

We've pulled 2 adults on slalom skis up and out easily and cruising at 30 MPH we are running ~2700 RPM so in a pretty
good torque range.

So far love the boat and plan to run it as much as I can before putting it away for the winter.

Many thanks for the advice and input.

Rebait

Cadet

I am glad that you bought it and you are enjoying it. Mine is an 18' Center Console with a 125 Mercury outboard. It makes a little noise when going into gear but so did the previous 115 Merc. I attached a couple of pics.100_1317.jpg100_1319.jpg