VRO Pump - 96 model 175 Fast Strike J175GLEDB

ddakota

Seaman Apprentice
had a mechanic look at my "link & synch" the other day,got that straightened out. while running it in his test tank he said the amount of smoke being discharged at idle speed was an indicator that my VRO pump is on the verge of going out. It was replaced about 3 years ago - other than that, never had a problem with it.

Question #1 - is excess smoke at idle speed an indicator of this?

Quesiton #2 - if I decide to be proactive and bypass the VRO are the steps as follows:

1) Disconnect the oil line - see photo - looks like I could cut this line, insert a Plug into the line going into the VRO pump to seal it off, then remove the remaining oil line from the motor
2) Disconnect the VRO Sensor Plug - see photo - do I just unpug this and tape it off?
3) DO NOT FORGET TO RUN PRE-MIX!!
4) to be safe, disconnect the gas line at the motor filter, pump gas from the line into a container until I see the pre-mix gas flowing, then connect it back
5) DO NOT FORGET TO RUN PRE-MIX
6) Disconnect the wires to the oil tank when I remove it from the boat

I have read in some places that you need to replace the pump with a gas only fuel pump or replace with a manual fuel pump - is this necessary?

Attachments

• VRO pump 2.jpg
    VRO pump 2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1

Haffiman

Commander
Re: VRO Pump - 96 model 175 Fast Strike J175GLEDB

Before you start messing with the pump, check your oil-consumption first.
Make a mark on the VRO tank, run a known amount of fuel, and add oil to the mark. If the amount added equals about 2%, no problem.
However a VRO pump that starts 'adding' to much oil, is just a sign that it does not pump the correct amount of fuel!! If you disconnect the oil side and run fuel-mix only, you may in short be in the situation that you have a lean running engine due to lack of fuel. The results will be burned down pistons!!
If suspicious of the fuel pump, rebuild the fuel side!!

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...ump+Repair+Kits&yid=34040&mid=34042&sid=39237

ddakota

Seaman Apprentice

thanks - so too much oil or not enough gas creates the same thing..... seems logical.

ddakota

Seaman Apprentice

the mechanic jumped straight to its an oil problem, VRO is always eventually going to fail, just do away with it and save yourslef some heartache down the road. He never mentioned it may be not anough fuel causing it to run lean

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Also, if you have an air leak on the gasoline side (gas line, mainstrainer, water seperator etc), the OMS pump wil mix in more oil. You can have a smokescreen under those conditions. Check all connections and filter seals...One of the seals in the main strainer was out of place, and I inadvertantly joined the "Mosquito Control" crew...

I personally think your mechanic's opinion that the OMS pump is on it's way out is crap.....However, always carry enough oil to premix your entire tank. if the no oil light/alarm comes on, premix your current fuel supply...

Haffiman

Commander

One thing the VRO may never do is pump MORE oil!
It may only pump LESS fuel pr stroke, due to leakage of air/fuel.
The VRO system is in fact the only pump that gives a clear pre-warning that it is loosing capacity and starting to 'fail' as the oil-to-fuel ratio will change and give more smoke.
Blaming it for this, is like blaming the alarm to trigger when engine runs hot because the impeller starts to fail!!
Too many simply disconnect the oil side, which in fact is similar to disconnect your alarm system!!
If excessive smoke starts, fix/repair the problem just like you change impeller.
Simply disconnecting is what the 'shade tree' mechs do - finding the fault and repairing is what a REAL pro would do!!

ddakota

Seaman Apprentice

I recently changed the fuel/water separator filter and pulled the engine fuel filter to check it.....maybe I did not get the seal on that little cone shaped engine engine filter properly in place. I will double check those. thanks