Upper MIssissippi or Torch Lake?

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer
Earlier this year we sold our cottage, so now have to trailer to water.:( I've got a 3-day weekend coming up, and am considering a 4 - 5 hour drive. North could take us to Torch Lake in Michigan's NW lower peninsula. I know it's a beautiful 2 mile x 20-mile pristine lake with other interconnected lakes. Or we could go west on I-80 and be on the Mississippi by the Quad Cities. I was born in Davenport, but haven't really been there in 55+ years, but the attraction of the river is strong. I've searched for upper Mississippi threads, and they've helped a bit.

So... *very* different water and cruising experiences.

I'd appreciate a variety of comments & thoughts.

Thanks.

Re: Upper MIssissippi or Torch Lake?

Well you can't beat the Michigan lakes. That's a fact! Instead of the big muddy you could always hit the Illinois river. I would suggest Ottawa or Spring Valley as launch sites. They are less than 10 miles off I-80 and there are dams between you and most of the yahoos (Chicago folks launching at Morris) so the boat traffic isn't insane. Nice thing about the river is after about 4pm boat traffic gets thin and if its not windy you get some good glass for skiing.

BTW watch out for the jumping carp!

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TORCH

We made our 1st trip there last year and the family LOVED it!!
Enjoy the sandbar:)

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I vote Torch.

If you have never been on some of the Northern Lower lakes, you really need to come up and visit. Torch is sort of the one everyone talks about, but Charlevoix is probably just as nice and you can get out to the Big Lake from there also.

Burt-Mullet and the rivers that make up the inland waterway are really worth a visit also.

If you up for a really amazing trip, head accross the bridge and hang a right. Once you get to Hessel, put your boat in the water and just be in awe at the amazing place you just found.

There are so many places in Michigan that you didn't ask about, it is hard for me to resist mentioning more.

I have never boated on the Mississippi and I'm sure it is interesting and I'm sure those that call it home love it. I just think that if you haven't been North in Michigan, you are really in for a treat.