holes in keel

prolix

Recruit
i recently got a 75 starcraft aluminum. along the keel guards( or at least i think thats what they are called- first boat, so im kinda learning.) there is a 1/4 hole drilled into each one about a third of the way back. I am assuming it would be for a drain of some sort? But since it does take on a fair amount of water and i dont know where it is coming from, i am wondering if i should plug those up? or are they needed?

prolix

Recruit
Re: holes in keel

i recently got a 75 starcraft aluminum. along the keel guards( or at least i think thats what they are called- first boat, so im kinda learning.) there is a 1/4 hole drilled into each one about a third of the way back. I am assuming it would be for a drain of some sort? But since it does take on a fair amount of water and i dont know where it is coming from, i am wondering if i should plug those up? or are they needed?IMAG0235.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

You might want to scan thru some threads in the Starcraft owners group forum

Oddly enough I found similar drilled holes along the keel on my Jet today, while I was under the boat adjusting 2 of the bunks again.

I took it to be a drain/weep hole to keep any water that got into that triangular shaped space inside the keel, could get out. Water freezing in there could do a bunch of damage quick over 1 winter....

It is most likely not a drain for another area of the boat into, thru & out of the keel.

I am assuming it would be for a drain of some sort? But since it does take on a fair amount of water and i dont know where it is coming from, i am wondering if i should plug those up? or are they needed?

Water into the bilge & pumped over the side by the bilge pump? How much, how often? Guessing it's a finished, in use boat, not a bare hull that allows you easy access to all the interior seams & rivets. And which model 1975 SC is it? Details too please...

I wish I could help out more, but even if you post some answers to those questions, it'll still take someone else to help, am no where near that far along w/ my aluminum resto & learning curve:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do a leak test on your boat, fill it with a few inches of water while on the trailer and watch for leaks under the boat... mark them as you find them for repair. If you get water leaking out of those holes they will need to be repaired, if no water leaks out they aren't the problem.

64osby

Admiral

The holes are rib drains, don't fill them.

The water test should show you any leaks. If water comes out of those drains you have an loose attachment rivets on the ribs.

Not a ton of info from you, but the best way to fix a leaky boat in most cases to to pull the floor, replace any bad rivets and seal everything with Gluvit.

Pictures, year and model really help to look at the whole picture.

Welcome to iboats.