Little help with install of alpha 1 after install of water pump impellar

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted a thread last week regarding high temp readings
1984 4 cylinder mercruiser, self contained cooling
488 model
Alpha 1
Can idle all day but when I started increase throttle so did temp gauge.
A lot of extensive engine and lower unit work end of last season. WHen temp started too increase I called him, he said impellar was changed. He said there is proberly air pocket and water not going thru engine???
Some fellow boaters doubted his air pocket theory.
Symptoms is water pump impellar but I want too trust this guy.

Opened heat exchanger and found pieces of old impellar wedged around some of the water passage tubes. Thought that was the problem cleaned, added 50/50 anti freeze. Launched boat and same increase in temp occured.
Upon advice from fellow I boaters on this forum they said change impellar.
Never changed impellar and jumped into it and now I need some help too finish.
On U tube Long Island boat club has a detailed visual. Removal of bolts was easy as lower unit had recent work.
Lower unit seperated no issue.
Followed instructions.
Install seemed easy from the tech on U Tuble, but I am having a tough time
On U Tube he did have another set of hands helping with install.
All bolts line up
once in uppper unit can't see, but shaft has too slip into gear spleens, water pipe slips into water whole.
shift lined up , but not going up????
Using a jack too help with weight , I am cranking up slowly, all bolt holes line up. lower unit is not going in all the way, forcing will do damage.
What am I doing wrong??? HELP want too take boat out friday, promised grandkids a day of fishing.

thanks

ngoodart

Seaman
Re: Little help with install of alpha 1 after install of water pump impellar

When you get the lower into position make sure that you are in full forward gear, that your upper and lower shift shafts lie up facing forward, If it still wantes to fight turn your prop CCW slowly until the splines line up and it should go right up and in ( you will feel this line up and it will slide right in) .....I have read here several times jacks are bad Mkay! I just had to do the same thing last night... Get one of those grand kids that want to go fishin help balance the lower as you lift it into position...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK it sounds like the gearhousing may have slipped out of forward and the intermediate shift shaft is sitting crosswise and not slipping into the coupler on the bottom of the upper shift shaft. Now is a good time to educate yourself. This is how they go together: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:79&tx=90&ty=28 so look underneath. You will see the bottom of the upper shift shaft (in the bellhousing), when you have the control in forward it points straight ahead. Now look at the driveshaft housing and you will see the top of the intermediate shift shaft. To put it all together turn the lower shift shaft (short splined shaft in front of gearhousing) all the way clockwise (forward), turn the prop counterclockwise till it locks and use a bungee to hold CCW tension so it stays in gear. Make sure the stainless steel washer is in place on the lower ss. Instal the gearhousing and as you do make sure the intermediate ss slips onto the lower ss and is pointed straight ahead. If you need to turn the driveshaft a little to get the splines to line up, turn the prop CCW only. That should do it. Simple huh?;)

rjcunningham

Cadet

both of these previous replies are correct, just to confirm, Do Not Use A Jack. with the prop locked in the counter clockwise position and pushing the lower unit up by hand, turn the prop CCW until you feel the splines engage and the unit will slide right up

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I will add that you need to ensure you do not have too much grease on the two o-rings on the coupler end yoke shaft (the o-rings that penetrate the the gimbal bearing. Too much grease has been known to lock you up with about 5/8" to go before fully engaged. Some people overcome this with the "special tool" called the merc-kick. Just a light coat of 2-4-C on these o-rings should do. Also make sure you have a new coat of spline grease on your coupler spline.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Don't use grease at all on the O-rings...use just a drop or two of oil, it'll slide right on. If a little extra is needed and your studs are through...simply tighten your bolts a little at a time and it'll snug right up...no footprint required.