1987 merc alpha 1 problem

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a problem the drive only goes up with the trailer switch, checked the resivior on the back transom says auto trans fluid only and is in the low level how do I add fluid to this unit and what else could be causing this problem?

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 merc alpha 1 problem

Probably nothing more than a trim limit switch failure. here is the troublshooting guide to check things out to be sure.

View attachment A1,MR,RTrim Troubleshooting.pdf

For filling, which trim pump do you have? all three shown it the above attachment.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Appreciate the download, yes looks like a trim switch failure more money never stops mech said about 100 bucks for switch and three hours labor need to start working on this boat myself.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Appreciate the download, yes looks like a trim switch failure more money never stops mech said about 100 bucks for switch and three hours labor need to start working on this boat myself.

Kind of what these forums are for now, isn't it?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You can start with trying to get your trim limit switch to work. Cost to try $0. Here is what you can do Go to the back of the boat and locate the two black wires coming through the transom plate that go to two connectors, one with a Purple/white wire the other with two blue/white wires. Unplug the black wires and with a short piece of wire jumper between the connectors. Try the trim switch. If it works, you know your control switch is OK. You can leave it like that and your trim switch will work but there will be no limit. Next thing to do is go to the port side of the outdrive and closely examine the wires coming from the round trim limit switch on the gimbal ring. If they look OK you can try disassembling the switch to see if you can get it to work. Carefully mark its position, and and remove the two screws holding it on. When you get it off mark the position of the plastic piece that goes into the gimbal hinge pin. Take it apart and look inside, not much there just a couple of copper contacts and a contact arm Clean it up and maybe even CAREFULLY LOL bend the arm a little to make better contact. Check with an ohmmeter on the wires to see if you have good contact. If you do you should be able to put it back on and have trim. If you get it to work Here is the manual: http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser6.html#/306 page 307 will show how to reinstall and adjust. Have fun.