1998 Force 75 hp fuel pump and carb rebuilt question

dt4ever

Cadet
I'm in the process of rebuilding my fuel pump and the carb. So far I have ordered part # 18-7817 and 18-7033 from iboats here. The fuel pump looks simple enough, but my main concern is the carb. Will I mess up all the screws and jets current adjustment if I just want to clean the carb? And is there anything I need to pay attention to while doing these type of rebuilt job?

Thanks.

salmonslammer

Seaman
Re: 1998 Force 75 hp fuel pump and carb rebuilt question

I'm in the middle of the same job on a 85hp... I'm about stupid when it comes to carbs, but after reading several hours worth of threads on here....I"m going to give it a shot.

At the top of the forum there is a sticky for the link and snyc... key info right there.
By searching the forum, all the info is there, just have to dig for it.

I still went and ordered a clymers manual for it....$15 on amazon.

shouldn't screw up anything....just pay attention (in my world that means take lots of pics!) of how everything is hooked up and what goes where. Make sure you get new gaskets for em too.

Good luck!

And make sure you don't drop a screw from the breather box down the leg! That'll add another hour to the project retrieving that stupid thing!

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi dt4ever,

I have the same motor.

Yes you will have to do a “link and sync” after you clean the carbie. Easy to do on this motor as you only have one carbie to worry about. You will need to remove the idle adjustment screw to clean the passages in the carbie. Take photos as you go and you will be fine. Use a small amount of low strength lock-tite on the bolts for the fuel pump to prevent then from vibrating loose. I need to fit a new kit to my fuel pump tomorrow. I could post some picture if this would help. If your motor is running well at the moment the carbie is likely to be clean. That said I still clean my carbie each year.

While you have the carbie off check the fuel enrichment solenoid. You will need to disconnect the hoses that go from the solenoid to the carbie anyway to service the carbie. Blow down the hose that leads to the intake side of the solenoid and it should be blocked. Then push down on the black button on top of the solenoid and it should open and let air through. Check that the solenoid works when the ignition key is pressed in. You should hear a clicking sound.

The other common problem with the fuel enrichment solenoid is that the rubber grummet on the bolt that holds it to the motor wears over time. This allows the wires supplying power to the solenoid to rub on the intake manifold causing them to short and eventually to break. I caught mine just in time to save them. The wires get greasy and appear black but one of them should be yellow. Clean then up and have a look. This problem can cause difficulty in starting a cold engine. The rubber grummets are cheap. I purchased mine from an auto store. 10 in a packet. Now have enough for years!

Some photos of the fuel enrichment solenoid.

Choke port.jpgChoke star.jpg

The venturi in the carbie is meant to face this direction. I checked with the manufacturer. You don’t need to remove this tube to clean the carbie so just leave it where it is.

Carb1.jpg

Good Luck

dt4ever

Cadet

salmonslammer: thanks for the warning about the screw, I'll make sure nothing will drop ;).

TwoFish: wow I did not know cleaning carb would require much attention. My thought was just to take the carb off, spray carb clean solution + compressed air + replace some gaskets. The motor was running fine, but last weekend it started acting up on starting and in gear. My original thought was the engine did not get enough fuel to establish a stable idle thus stalling in gear. Everything on the engine is original, even the fuel pump bolt still has the original black paint on it so I guess it's time for a complete maintenance. The kits won't arrive until tomorrow. I think I'll start with the fuel pump first. How do you check the fuel line to be sure they're in working order? Like i said, everything is in its original state and the previous owner did not use the boat that much.

Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The kit for the fuel pump is very simple.
Just don't bend the thin discs.They are the valves!!
The kit should have directions.
Make sure the points line up and it should be a breeze.
The carb: the kit is probably the wrong one!!!90% seem to send the wrong stuff.
Usually just cleaning the old is enough.If it doesn't come loose easy don't force it!
Remove the air screw and remember the turn it takes to put it back in?
Screw it in to the bottom probably a turn and a 1/4??
Remember that! You need to screw it back to there!