I inherrited a motor and I am a noob. Your help is needed.

yorab

Ensign
Re: I inherrited a motor and I am a noob. Your help is needed.

Hi wackostu. Welcome to the forums.

I assume that you have mechanical shift. I have a similar motor, but it is the electric shift model which has different L/U internals. I am definitely not an expert on your mechanical shift model, but I've read hundreds of posts over the years concerning your issue. [I'm not an expert, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night ;)] It is most likely worn clutch dogs. Others who truly are experts will chime in, but in the meantime read up on "clutch dog" with the forum search function. Also, look in the boat restoration forum for info about restoring the boat. Tons of great info over there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There was no electric shift in 1960. wackostu, your symptoms are classic and well known. You have a totally worn out clutch dog, and most likely forward gear also. Allowing it to get that bad often beats the linkage to death, so yes you could have problems there too. Only an inspection can tell.

A new 312054 clutch dog is $125.
A new 377870 forward gear is $479
A new 307074 reverse gear is $180
Note: a reverse gear can be used as a forward gear by swapping the bushings.

If installing a new 312054 dog, it is highly suggested (but not required) that you drill the prop shaft for the detents that work with the new dog. It makes the dog snap into position, reducing wear. But don't think you can drill it yourself unless you are experienced in drilling stainless steel. Have a machinist do it on a Bridgeport. He will know what that means.

Now you know...........

BonairII

Commander

Don't bother spending a bunch of money fixing the lower unit. Try to find another lower unit or a parts motor with good LU.

Start saving money for all the fuel that motor will devour. ;):D