Raw water pump leak

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Aq125a 270OD. I have a leak at the raw water pump. I replaced the seal on the shaft. But still have a leak. I did not use lube on this seal. Could it have started leaking again al most instantly. Or am I missing something?
Could a leak at this point cause the system to draw air and not cool properly?
Thanks for you help and any suggestions.
Eddie. P.S. Thanks again for all the help.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Raw water pump leak

Yes there is possibility to draw air through shaft seal, but in most cases you will get water into engine.
You need to inspect shaft for any wear ,if is in good condition replace your seals , always use grease to lubricate ,make sure you don't damage seals during installation-wrap shaft edges with masking tape.

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This seal is at the base of the raw water pump. Same shaft then continues into engine to distributor. So a leak on this seal would not cause water in engine. I was wondering if not using the lube during installation of the seal could cause it to fail very quickly. I think it could? Also was wondering if a leak at this point in the raw water system would cause it to draw air and or lose some of it's ability to pump water. I feel that is possible too. Just want to know if I should try installing a new seal with lube.or just bite the bullet and install new pump. The pumps are a little costly. If the seal might fix it I'd like to try it first?
Thanks for the help.
Eddie

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

This seal is at the base of the raw water pump. Same shaft then continues into engine to distributor. So a leak on this seal would not cause water in engine. I was wondering if not using the lube during installation of the seal could cause it to fail very quickly. I think it could? Also was wondering if a leak at this point in the raw water system would cause it to draw air and or lose some of it's ability to pump water. I feel that is possible too. Just want to know if I should try installing a new seal with lube.or just bite the bullet and install new pump. The pumps are a little costly. If the seal might fix it I'd like to try it first?
Thanks for the help.
Eddie

I doubt the lack of grease is the problem, you had the leak first, right?
Could be one of two things IMHO.
1. The shaft could be worn where the seal rides, buy a rebuild kit with the new shaft.
2. The bearing bronze bushings in the pump are worn letting the shaft run off-center, replace the bushings ( a harder job, but I did mine with hand tools and a vise.