What is this noise, is it bad, and if so how do I stop it?

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello! I finally have my 1989 150 XR4 running after the rebuild. I did all new rings/bearings and 2 oversize pistons. It has all new electronics except for voltage regulator. I set the timing with a JSRE dial indicator. Set initital pickup to 4 deg and full advance @22 (advance module is removed) The heads had to be cut slightly to get them flat. Running premix 40 to 1 for break in. Oil injection gone.

The noise Im experiencing happens when I go from just off idle into a "punch it" sort of situation. Not full throttle, but what you might do if pulling a skier. Basically just getting on plane quickly. The noise is a "ping" noise. Like dropping a marble in a coffee can. I only hear like 4 or 5 times until it stops. If I'm already at about 3k and I punch it, no noise and it just pushes me into the seat. My assumption is preignition but not sure. If so, how would I stop it as my timing is already pretty conservative and I run 93 octane.

I also think my prop is a bit large as I've only been able to hit 5k but I havent really been trying hard because I'm still in the "break in" period. This is on an 18' bass boat btw and it's stupid fast. :)