Is a 90 hp Yamaha Outboard enough for a 17 foot 3 in deck boat?

To those that know more than me,

I am looking at purchasing my first deck boat (2007 Hurricane); however, the motor on it is a 90 hp 2001 Yamaha OB. Is it just me or does this seem a bit undersized?

The main purpose of the boat will be for cruising/fishing/tubing. That being said, I would like to be able to handle the occasional skier or wake boarder. I should have approximately 4-5 adults on the boat.

Thanks for your help guys! I am going to look at it this afternoon.

-Tom

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Is a 90 hp Yamaha Outboard enough for a 17 foot 3 in deck boat?

For the most part that motor should be fine. One simple thing you could always do is go up or down a pitch size on the prop to effectively give it more torque for pulling a skier or boarder, or give you a more comfortable cruising speed with more upper end. Props are easy to change and you can usually pick up a decent used aluminum prop on ebay or craigslist for under $100. And depending on your lake, it might be good to have a spare on the boat as well!
Good luck, let us know if you pull the trigger!

robert graham

Admiral

You may be pleasantly surprised at how well that 90HP motor pushes that boat. By boat is 18' with a 90HP Yamaha and I rarely use all the power. Of course, you could take the boat for a test ride before buying it...to check speed, power, anything else that might not be just right!;)

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better about it and appreciate the prop advice.

airwo.lf

Cadet

a 4 blade prop is great for pulling skier's and wake boarders, you will loose a couple mph, but you will gain TORQUE !!

I did not pull the trigger on the Hurricane. It was in fairly rough shape. The fact that the motor was older than the boat, in addition to a lot of visual damage made me leery. It was a smaller boat dealer and I could not take it off the premises to have a mechanic look at it, nor could I run it on the water.

I don't care how good the deal is, I was not ready to gamble with those variables.

That being said I am looking at an older Bayliner tonight. Going to run it around the lake a little bit and then have it checked out. Not quite a Hurricane, and the interior needs some cleaning, but seems to be solid.

dpfundst

Seaman

I have that exact motor, size and age, and it is pushing a bigger boat than yours
I'm very happy with it
That motor is a Yamaha 2 stroke mide range work horse, and should serve you well

dpfundst

Seaman

I did not pull the trigger on the Hurricane. It was in fairly rough shape. The fact that the motor was older than the boat, in addition to a lot of visual damage made me leery. It was a smaller boat dealer and I could not take it off the premises to have a mechanic look at it, nor could I run it on the water.

I don't care how good the deal is, I was not ready to gamble with those variables.

That being said I am looking at an older Bayliner tonight. Going to run it around the lake a little bit and then have it checked out. Not quite a Hurricane, and the interior needs some cleaning, but seems to be solid.

What motor is on the Bayliner? I had a Bayliner 1950 Capri with a 125 Force Outboard...........

Fragamag

Cadet

I have a f90 on a 22ft pontoon. Plenty of power.