Quality of Mercruiser parts?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok, just when I thought I was doing everything right by my boat, I hit another parts purchasing roadblock. I have seen many threads about using "Genuine Mercruiser" parts when replacing items on a vessel so equipped. And I couldn't agree more. What aggravates the carp out of me is the following.

I call a dealer 20 miles away and ask if he has XYZ part number in stock. Yes he does. (A single Alpha 1 u-joint bellow) I ask again if he is sure it is a genuine Mercruiser labeled part, not an aftermarket Chinese part (confirmed part # was on label) Yes! Very well then. I drive to pick it up...with $70 in hand! Get there and it is indeed in a sealed bag with a Merc label and part number...and a freakin' MADE IN CHINA sticker on the bag! WTF man? I didn't buy it.

So here I am wondering what you guys would do in this situation. I've already seen the $35 bellows online. It is obviously made in China. Am I going to suffer catastrophic failure of the bellows because I bought a $35 part when it should have been double the price? What's going on here. Is this just more B.S. that makes a hefty profit for Mercruiser when it's totally unnecessary?

The most ridiculous part is, I have already pulled the original bellow off since I was doing a shift cable replacement, and the darn thing looks and feels like brand new! But, God forbid I reuse a "used" u-joint bellow. I think the PO was an idiot (actually, I know so) as he must have had a u-joint bellow failure and replaced only that item; because the exhaust and shift cable bellows and water intake hose were near extinction with dry rot and cracks. Actually, the gimbal bearing had been replaced too, as it is the sealed type; and the "installer" beat it in with a center punch and hammer (evidenced by the round dents around the race.)

So what would you guys do? Buy the $35 Chinese brand, or buy the $70 Merchinese brand? :mad:

P.S. I just found a date code stamped on water intake hose...11-07-00!
Gee, can you say preventative maintenance? :facepalm: I'm willing to bet the shift and exhaust bellows were of the same vintage!

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Quality of Mercruiser parts?

Buy the merchinese brand, at least is should be made to merc's specs. Aftermarket is made to someone else's specs. You'll find very little made in North America these days when it comes to parts unfortunately.

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Quality of Mercruiser parts?

I always buy Mercruiser parts. Never even paid attention to where they were made. As bnicov says above, its unfortunate, but so much of the stuff we buy these days is made in China. If it has the Merc label, then its made to their specs.